On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 05:11:34PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Hello Guix! > > I pushed some changes yesterday that confirm that the Shepherd paves the > way for init system innovation, synergistic cross-domain fertilization, > and delimited continuations: > > https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/shepherd.git/log/?id=31d21fa083872d500c016b6b3b2587d25510702d > > 31d21fa * Add REPL service. > cd6f3fb * comm: Add 'open-server-socket'. > c64804f * Add resource monitoring service. > > These new services are built into shepherd, allowing users to control it > and to fiddle with it. The REPL is functional but of course a bit > bumpy: you’d better know what you’re doing. > > I imagine we could develop more convenient services like this, such as a > basic command scheduler similar to the ‘at’ command, and a syslogd > implementation. The latter could be nice for a couple of reasons: > logging would happen from the start and till the end (an improvement > over the external syslogd process), and it could let us provide a nicer > user interface to view logs (taking inspiration from that of > ‘journalctl’). > > Thoughts? Ideas? I always imagined an 'at' command being part of mcron. Does this mean we should look forward to shepherdd-mcron? > PS: It just occurred to me that we might as well rename the new > (shepherd service …) hierarchy to (shepherd sheep …) or even > (shepherd 🐑 …). How does shepherd handle emojis for system symbols? -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted