On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 10:36:12AM +0300, Efraim Flashner wrote: > On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 01:48:25PM -0400, Thompson, David wrote: > > Hello all, > > > > I recently wrote a little blog post titled "Guix for development" [0] > > and in it I mentioned using a tool called direnv and emacs-direnv as a > > way to integrate 'guix shell' with Emacs. This integration has vastly > > improved my Emacs experience. I can open a shell buffer and the > > environment variables are automatically configured the way I want. I > > can run M-x compile and simply enter 'make' as the command instead of > > 'guix shell -D -f guix.scm -- make'. > > > > It's very cool that it works, and I should have done this years ago, > > but direnv is an unnecessary middleman for me because I don't use it > > for any other purpose. It would be *even cooler* if Emacs could call > > 'guix shell --search-paths' directly, parse the result, and update the > > buffer environment. Furthemore, it could integrate with project.el > > (thus requiring Emacs 28) so that per-project search paths "just > > work." The emacs-guix-shell [1] project attempts to do this. > > > > I'm not an experienced elisp programmer so I'm sure there's stuff to > > fix, and there are no customizable variables yet, but the essentials > > seem to work OK for me. If you'd like to try it out, eval > > guix-shell.el and then M-x guix-shell-global-mode to enable it > > everywhere, or M-x guix-shell-mode to enable it just for the current > > buffer. > > > > Whether through direnv or guix-shell.el, integrating Emacs with 'guix > > shell' has been a game changer for my development workflow and I > > highly recommend it! > > > > That's all for now, > > > > - Dave > > > > [0] https://dthompson.us/guix-for-development.html > > [1] https://git.dthompson.us/emacs-guix-shell.git/ > > You can add other things to your guix.scm file, allowing you to do More > Things™ than just add packages to your environment. > > I'm currently using Enlightenment, which has a 'PANTS=ON' environment > variable for unknown reasons. > > (ins)efraim@3900XT ~$ cat guix-shell.scm > ;; This creates and empty guix environment, with > ;; the PANTS environment variable set to OFF. > > (setenv "PANTS" "OFF") > (list ) > (ins)efraim@3900XT ~$ env | grep PANTS > PANTS=ON > (ins)efraim@3900XT ~$ guix shell -f guix-shell.scm > guix shell: warning: no packages specified; creating an empty environment > (ins)efraim@3900XT ~ [env]$ env | grep PANTS > PANTS=ON > > This doesn't directly help with your scenario, but you could change your > 'make' invocation to `guix shell -D -f guix.scm -- sh -c 'source > $GUIX_ENVIRONMENT/etc/profile; make'`, which would work as a workaround > for now. It would seem I was so certain it would work I didn't check before pasting and sending. -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted