On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 03:31:34PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Hi, > > Brian Cully skribis: > > > Ludovic Courtès writes: > > > >> So plain ‘emacs’ package doesn’t work on Wayland? That sounds like > >> a > >> recipe for a poor user experience, no? > > > > The mainline Emacs is not Wayland-native, but it (along with just > > about everything else) will run fine under XWayland. It's how I've > > been running it for some time now. The user experience is almost > > indistinguishable from either the ‘pgtk’ branch or the mainline, > > X-only branch. > > > >> (FWIW folks like me who use exwm, ratpoison, or one of these geeky > >> tiling window managers probably can’t switch.) > > > > This is correct, but I don't see why this should prevent Guix offering > > the option for Wayland-based compositors/window-managers out of the > > box as all it does is offer more options for users. > > Sure. > > > Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I don't believe that setting > > the ‘wayland’ flag to #t in gdm-configuration causes Wayland to be > > used for your desktop environment, it merely *allows* it to be > > selected from the greeter. When logging in you can select from Gnome > > under X, Gnome under Wayland, or other window managers you may have > > installed under either environment. Without that flag only the X11 > > window managers will be selectable. > > OK, I wasn’t aware of that; if setting ‘wayland?’ to #t is this smooth > and basically indistinguishable for those who want to stick with X, then > I guess we should enable it. > > I’m still unsure whether doing is before the release is reasonable, > given how much we have on our plate. > > Thanks, > Ludo’. I think the only real question is what shows up first by default in a fresh install. I believe by default SDDM will show the window manager that was last used by default. My current OS config, when I spin it up in a VM, lists enlightenment/wayland before enlightenment/X11. I didn't test with gnome. -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted