unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* LibreSSL?
@ 2022-03-29 16:39 Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2022-03-29 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I noticed that some Guix packages depend on LibreSSL, but it seems that
we are not successfully keeping this package up to date with upstream
security releases:

https://www.libressl.org/releases.html

Will anyone step up to maintain this package? Or should we remove it
from Guix?

* Re: LibreSSL?
@ 2022-04-01  8:41 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-04-01  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> I noticed that some Guix packages depend on LibreSSL, but it seems that
> we are not successfully keeping this package up to date with upstream
> security releases:
>
> https://www.libressl.org/releases.html
>
> Will anyone step up to maintain this package? Or should we remove it
> from Guix?

At first sight, it looks like an easy-to-maintain package: no
dependencies, few users, stable API.

I tried to update it to 3.5.1 and was proved wrong though: there’s one
test failure in ‘tests/asn1object’ and the Internet doesn’t seem to know
how to address the problem.  So it would need a bit more work.

I’d lean towards keeping it and doing that extra work, collectively, but
I understand this very discussion shows that it’s debatable.

Ludo’.

* Re: LibreSSL?
@ 2022-06-19 22:17   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2022-06-19 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Leo Famulari, guix-devel

Hello,

Am Fri, Apr 01, 2022 at 10:41:11AM +0200 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> At first sight, it looks like an easy-to-maintain package: no
> dependencies, few users, stable API.
>
> I tried to update it to 3.5.1 and was proved wrong though: there’s one
> test failure in ‘tests/asn1object’ and the Internet doesn’t seem to know
> how to address the problem.  So it would need a bit more work.
>
> I’d lean towards keeping it and doing that extra work, collectively, but
> I understand this very discussion shows that it’s debatable.

at some point in time, my understanding was that we would switch everything
to libressl and drop openssl. I have not followed, but from
   https://lwn.net/Articles/841664/
it looks as if the problems with openssl are more or less solved, at least
they are not worse than in libressl.

So an option would be to try to switch the existing dependencies to openssl
and decide from there.

What do you think?

Andreas

* Re: LibreSSL?