unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* linux-libre kernel 4.4 series will end next month (Feb 2022)
@ 2022-01-03  6:02 Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2022-01-03  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

The Linux / linux-libre kernel "longterm" support series version 4.4 is
scheduled to reach the end of its life next month, in February 2022:

https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

There is a project by the Civil Infrastructure Platform (CIP) called
"SLTS" kernels, which offer "super longterm support". They begin by
pledging support for the 4.4 series until 2027:

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/start

So, we could use that if somebody wanted to make the necessary
adjustments to our packaging and agree to help keep it working.

I think this is the first time we face end of support of a kernel with
longterm suport in Guix, at least since we started to keep all the
longterm kernels packaged [0].

What should we do?

I'm not sure that many people are using this kernel series, but anybody
who is should speak up and give their opinion.

[0] Interesting parts of our Git history:
The first linux-libre package (3.3.8):
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=beacfcabe735b6d8d07a682f1c0663e4670cea5b

The first linux-libre update (to 3.11):
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=e7b385008ca0f0817c3514357cf53151cea0f511

First additional linux-libre variant (adding 4.0.8):
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=97121c2a2189c0880cfb4c9a7eb8efd3b6e1c16e

* Re: linux-libre kernel 4.4 series will end next month (Feb 2022)
@ 2022-02-02 16:43 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-02-02 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Leo,

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> The Linux / linux-libre kernel "longterm" support series version 4.4 is
> scheduled to reach the end of its life next month, in February 2022:
>
> https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html
>
> There is a project by the Civil Infrastructure Platform (CIP) called
> "SLTS" kernels, which offer "super longterm support". They begin by
> pledging support for the 4.4 series until 2027:
>
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/start
>
> So, we could use that if somebody wanted to make the necessary
> adjustments to our packaging and agree to help keep it working.
>
> I think this is the first time we face end of support of a kernel with
> longterm suport in Guix, at least since we started to keep all the
> longterm kernels packaged [0].
>
> What should we do?

It's been 4 weeks, and nobody offered an opinion.  I suggest we stick to
upstream Linux LTS schedule and drop 4.4, otherwise we'll have even more
variants to maintain.

Thanks,

Maxim

* Re: linux-libre kernel 4.4 series will end next month (Feb 2022)
@ 2022-02-03 16:18   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2022-02-03 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Feb 02, 2022 at 11:43:57AM -0500, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
> It's been 4 weeks, and nobody offered an opinion.  I suggest we stick to
> upstream Linux LTS schedule and drop 4.4, otherwise we'll have even more
> variants to maintain.

Indeed. I don't think it's being used anyways.

The final version was released today:

https://lwn.net/Articles/883684/