unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Making `python-next` the next `python`
@ 2021-11-08  8:50 Tanguy LE CARROUR
From: Tanguy LE CARROUR @ 2021-11-08  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Dear Guix,

I've just started working on packaging Python 3.10 and realized
that Guix's default version for Python is still 3.8.

What would be the proper way to make 3.9 the default version?
Do I "just" have to submit a patch that rename the related packages?

Regards,

--
Tanguy

* Re: Making `python-next` the next `python`
@ 2021-11-08  9:26 ` Guillaume Le Vaillant
From: Guillaume Le Vaillant @ 2021-11-08  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tanguy LE CARROUR; +Cc: guix-devel

Tanguy LE CARROUR <tanguy@bioneland.org> skribis:

> Dear Guix,
>
> I've just started working on packaging Python 3.10 and realized
> that Guix's default version for Python is still 3.8.
>
> What would be the proper way to make 3.9 the default version?
> Do I "just" have to submit a patch that rename the related packages?
>
> Regards,

Hi,

Python 3.9 is already the default version on the core-updates-frozen
branch. After it is merged in master, a python-next package can be added
for Python 3.10.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Making `python-next` the next `python`
@ 2021-11-08  9:58   ` Tanguy LE CARROUR
From: Tanguy LE CARROUR @ 2021-11-08  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Le Vaillant; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Guillaume,

Excerpts from Guillaume Le Vaillant's message of November 8, 2021 10:26 am:
> Tanguy LE CARROUR <tanguy@bioneland.org> skribis:
>> I've just started working on packaging Python 3.10 and realized
>> that Guix's default version for Python is still 3.8.
>>
>> What would be the proper way to make 3.9 the default version?
>> Do I "just" have to submit a patch that rename the related packages?
>
> Python 3.9 is already the default version on the core-updates-frozen
> branch. After it is merged in master, a python-next package can be added
> for Python 3.10.

Great! Thanks and… sorry for the noise! ^_^'
I'll wait for the release then, and keep on working on 3.10.

Just to make sure I don't ask any other stupid questions in the future,
where am I supposed to get this information from? I mean, I checked
`guix-devel` before posting, but could not find any mention to this topic.

Thanks again,

--

@ 2021-11-08 10:15     ` Guillaume Le Vaillant
From: Guillaume Le Vaillant @ 2021-11-08 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tanguy LE CARROUR; +Cc: guix-devel

Tanguy LE CARROUR <tanguy@bioneland.org> skribis:

> Excerpts from Guillaume Le Vaillant's message of November 8, 2021 10:26 am:
>> Tanguy LE CARROUR <tanguy@bioneland.org> skribis:
>>> I've just started working on packaging Python 3.10 and realized
>>> that Guix's default version for Python is still 3.8.
>>>
>>> What would be the proper way to make 3.9 the default version?
>>> Do I "just" have to submit a patch that rename the related packages?
>>
>> Python 3.9 is already the default version on the core-updates-frozen
>> branch. After it is merged in master, a python-next package can be added
>> for Python 3.10.
>
> Great! Thanks and… sorry for the noise! ^_^'
> I'll wait for the release then, and keep on working on 3.10.
>
> Just to make sure I don't ask any other stupid questions in the future,
> where am I supposed to get this information from? I mean, I checked
> `guix-devel` before posting, but could not find any mention to this topic.
>
> Thanks again,

I tested and fixed a few things on the core-updates-frozen branch, and
this is how I saw that Python 3.9 was the default.
I don't remember if there was some discussion about this on the bug-guix
or guix-patches mailing lists.
There is also the guix-commits mailing list that shows all that happens
in the repository, but it's pretty high volume.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Making `python-next` the next `python`
@ 2021-11-08 15:27     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-11-08 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tanguy LE CARROUR; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 10:58:40AM +0100, Tanguy LE CARROUR wrote:
> Just to make sure I don't ask any other stupid questions in the future,
> where am I supposed to get this information from? I mean, I checked
> `guix-devel` before posting, but could not find any mention to this topic.

You have to deduce it based on some knowledge about what kind of
packages can be updated on the master branch and what kind of packages
cannot be updated there.

The key criterion for updating packages on master is how many dependent
packages they have. Basically, to update something on the master branch,
it should have less than 300 transitive dependents. This is described in
item 8 of the manual section Submitting Patches:

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html

Based on that knowledge, you can do `guix refresh --list-dependent
python`, and it will tell you "Building the following 6357 packages
would ensure 13585 dependent packages are rebuilt: [...]".

So, it's not something we can change on the master branch, and it is a
candidate for core-updates.

Then, you can check out the core-updates branch and see if the update
has been performed there. As we are in the final stages of the
core-updates cycle, there is also a core-updates-frozen branch, and even
a core-updates-frozen-batched-changes branch... to learn about those,
you'd have to ask on IRC or guix-devel.

I hope that helps!

* Re: Making `python-next` the next `python`
@ 2021-11-09  7:38       ` Tanguy LE CARROUR
From: Tanguy LE CARROUR @ 2021-11-09  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari, Guillaume Le Vaillant; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Guillaume, hi Leo,

Excerpts from Leo Famulari's message of November 8, 2021 4:27 pm:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 10:58:40AM +0100, Tanguy LE CARROUR wrote:
>> Just to make sure I don't ask any other stupid questions in the future,
>> where am I supposed to get this information from? I mean, I checked
>> `guix-devel` before posting, but could not find any mention to this topic.
>
> You have to deduce it based on some knowledge about what kind of
> packages can be updated on the master branch and what kind of packages
> cannot be updated there.
> […]
> Then, you can check out the core-updates branch and see if the update
> has been performed there. As we are in the final stages of the
> core-updates cycle, there is also a core-updates-frozen branch, and even
> a core-updates-frozen-batched-changes branch... to learn about those,
> you'd have to ask on IRC or guix-devel.
>
> I hope that helps!

Very helpful indeed! Thanks guys for taking the time to answer!

Best regards,

--
Tanguy