On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 10:51:07AM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote: > On 2021-10-19, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > > zimoun skribis: > > > >> On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 at 14:56, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > > >> One question is “encouragement” for reviewing, somehow. Asking for new > >> package additions to go via guix-patches is a call making kind of > >> equality between contributors. As someone without commit access, I can > >> tell you that it is often demotivating to send a trivial addition, wait > >> forever, ping people (aside I know who I have to ping :-)). Usually, it > >> means people are busy elsewhere, so I try to help to reduce the workload > >> by reviewing stuff or by doing bug triage. However, in the same time, I > >> see committers push their own trivial additions. It appears to me > >> “unfair”. > > > > I understand and sympathize (I also see us slipping off-topic :-)). > > > >> Why are committer’s trivial additions more “urgent” than mine? > > > > Yeah, I see what you mean. > > > > I would like to see us committers do more review work. But I also view > > things from a different angle: everyone contributes in their own way, > > and each contribution is a gift. We can insist on community > > expectations (reviewing other people’s work), but we should also welcome > > contributions as they come. > > I must admit, I don't review patches unless they're in an area of > expertise (e.g. u-boot, arm-trusted-firmware, reproducible builds > tooling, etc.); I just don't have sufficient skill with guile to review > arbitrary packages in a meaningful way, other than the most trivial of > packages... > > Before I was granted commit access, I *really* appreciated getting > review... but was also frustrated by how long it took to get a > contribution in; having limited time available for guix, spending that > energy checking if something I'd already "finished" was actually merged > was a bit demotivating. > > I have added a small number of trivial packages without review; maybe I > shouldn't have... but it was also a bit of a sigh of relief once I could > push directly to no have to get caught up in the waiting game; I had > more time to actually contribute other improvements to guix. > > > > There’s a balance to be found between no formal commitment on behalf of > > committers, and a strict and codified commitment similar to what is > > required for participation in the distros list¹. > > So yeah, it is a quite balancing act! > > > Would a workflow of pushing to a "wip-pending" branch in guix.git that > then gets merged and/or cherry-picked into master/staging/core-updates > help at all? > > A cursory review could commit to "wip-pending", with the > plan/hope/expectation that it would get some other review and/or a > timeout before it gets merged. > > I guess it would be hard to avoid having to constantly rebase with the > latest updates... "wip-pending" might just add more work to an already > needs-more-resources process... > > > live well, > vagrant There is cbaines' guix-patches service (and other things), where you can add the git remote https://git.guix-patches.cbaines.net/git/guix-patches and then cherry-pick commits from there to the necessary branch. I haven't used it much though. -- Efraim Flashner רנשלפ םירפא GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted