On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 10:24:03PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Hi! > > Efraim Flashner skribis: > > > How about changing the mips64el documentation to say that there is > > minimal support for the two architectures, with no substitutes, and may > > be fun for tinkerers with the hardware. Then we could also change the > > check in the guix.m4 to add mips64el-linux as supported in case anyone > > does actually want to play with it. > > No, not as “supported”, I surely don’t want to deal with mips64el-linux > bugs. :-) > > > Current text: > > > > @item mips64el-linux (deprecated)¬ > > little-endian 64-bit MIPS processors, specifically the Loongson series, > > n32 ABI, and Linux-Libre kernel. This configuration is no longer fully > > supported; in particular, there is no ongoing work to ensure that this > > architecture still works. Should someone decide they wish to revive this > > architecture then the code is still available. > > > > Proposed text: > > > > @item Alternative architectures > > In addition to architectures which are actually supported there are a > > few formally unsupported architectures which may be of interested to > > tinkerers. Namely mips64el-linux, little-endian 64-bit MIPS processors, > > specifically the Loongson series, n32 ABI, and powerpc-linux, big-endian > > 32-bit POWER processors, specifically the PowerPC 74xx series. There are > > no installation tarballs, substitutes or promises that these > > architectures are functional. > > > > And then I'd move it lower than the powerpc64le-linux entry. > Ah, I didn't see your email. > Maybe it’s more readable to keep it as a bullet list, like: > > @item mips64el-linux (@emph{unsupported}) > … > > @item powerpc-linux (@emph{unsupported}) > … > > with a sentence explaining what “unsupported” means. That was kind-of my idea with grouping them together > IMO guix.m4 should either require --with-courage or emit a prominent > warning for these. > > WDYT? > > Thanks, > Ludo’. > The problem then becomes whoever tinkers with it will have to keep either a custom guix.m4 for their guix package or a custom guix package with "--with-courage" as a configure-flag. -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted