unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Exim CVEs (21Nails)
@ 2021-05-17 10:10 Taylan Kammer
From: Taylan Kammer @ 2021-05-17 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hi Guix people,

Just wanted to make sure everyone's aware, since we package Exim:

https://blog.qualys.com/vulnerabilities-research/2021/05/04/21nails-multiple-vulnerabilities-in-exim-mail-server

"Last fall, the Qualys Research Team engaged in a thorough code audit of Exim
and discovered 21 unique vulnerabilities. Ten of these vulnerabilities can be
exploited remotely. Some of them leading to provide root privileges on the
remote system. And eleven can be exploited locally with most of them can be
exploited in either default configuration or in a very common configuration.
Some of the vulnerabilities can be chained together to obtain a full remote
unauthenticated code execution and gain root privileges on the Exim Server.
Most of the vulnerabilities discovered by the Qualys Research Team for e.g.
CVE-2020-28017 affects all versions of Exim going back all the way to 2004
(going back to the beginning of its Git history 17 years ago)."

--
Taylan

* Re: Exim CVEs (21Nails)
@ 2021-05-17 14:44 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-05-17 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taylan Kammer; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 12:10:26PM +0200, Taylan Kammer wrote:
> Hi Guix people,
>
> Just wanted to make sure everyone's aware, since we package Exim:
>
> https://blog.qualys.com/vulnerabilities-research/2021/05/04/21nails-multiple-vulnerabilities-in-exim-mail-server
>
> "Last fall, the Qualys Research Team engaged in a thorough code audit of Exim
> and discovered 21 unique vulnerabilities. Ten of these vulnerabilities can be
> exploited remotely. Some of them leading to provide root privileges on the
> remote system. And eleven can be exploited locally with most of them can be
> exploited in either default configuration or in a very common configuration.
> Some of the vulnerabilities can be chained together to obtain a full remote
> unauthenticated code execution and gain root privileges on the Exim Server.
> Most of the vulnerabilities discovered by the Qualys Research Team for e.g.
> CVE-2020-28017 affects all versions of Exim going back all the way to 2004
> (going back to the beginning of its Git history 17 years ago)."

Fixed in commit 4ca8a00263 (gnu: Exim: Update to 4.94.2 [security
fixes].)

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=4ca8a002633f5d5c88c689fd41a686b5cdff33ec

* Re: Exim CVEs (21Nails)
@ 2021-05-17 15:26   ` Taylan Kammer
From: Taylan Kammer @ 2021-05-17 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: Guix Devel

On 17.05.2021 16:44, Leo Famulari wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 12:10:26PM +0200, Taylan Kammer wrote:
>> Hi Guix people,
>>
>> Just wanted to make sure everyone's aware, since we package Exim:
>>
>> https://blog.qualys.com/vulnerabilities-research/2021/05/04/21nails-multiple-vulnerabilities-in-exim-mail-server
>>
>> "Last fall, the Qualys Research Team engaged in a thorough code audit of Exim
>> and discovered 21 unique vulnerabilities. Ten of these vulnerabilities can be
>> exploited remotely. Some of them leading to provide root privileges on the
>> remote system. And eleven can be exploited locally with most of them can be
>> exploited in either default configuration or in a very common configuration.
>> Some of the vulnerabilities can be chained together to obtain a full remote
>> unauthenticated code execution and gain root privileges on the Exim Server.
>> Most of the vulnerabilities discovered by the Qualys Research Team for e.g.
>> CVE-2020-28017 affects all versions of Exim going back all the way to 2004
>> (going back to the beginning of its Git history 17 years ago)."
>
> Fixed in commit 4ca8a00263 (gnu: Exim: Update to 4.94.2 [security
> fixes].)
>
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=4ca8a002633f5d5c88c689fd41a686b5cdff33ec

On the same day that article was published, neat! :-)

--
Taylan

* Re: Exim CVEs (21Nails)
@ 2021-05-17 16:20     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-05-17 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taylan Kammer; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 05:26:36PM +0200, Taylan Kammer wrote:
> On the same day that article was published, neat! :-)

There was advance warning, so we were ready :)