On Sat, May 01, 2021 at 04:25:18PM -0400, Jack Hill wrote: > Thanks for your reply. > > On Fri, 30 Apr 2021, Efraim Flashner wrote: > > > On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 01:03:23AM -0400, Jack Hill wrote: > > > Greetings Guix, > > > > > > I'd like to improve the experience of installing Neovim plugins/add-ons with > > > Guix. I've submitted #48112 [0] which adds an XDG_DATA_DIRS search path so > > > nvim (the Neovim executable name) will be able to find plugins installed by > > > guix at …/share/nvim/site. > > > > I guess my first question is does it work? I think I first tried > > something similar for vim with 'share/vim/vimfiles' but it didn't > > actually work for vim. > > Yes, it does work! I tested it with neovim-syntastic and a local > neovim-fugitive package both with a guix environment and manually > manipulated environment variables. > > A difference between Neovim and Vim is that Neovim supports XDG_DATA_DIRS > (and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS) as real search paths while the environment variables > for Vim are single directories (compare `:help runtimepath` in the two > editors). > > > > Currently, we only have one such package, neovim-syntastic. I'd like to add > > > more. Many plugins are compatible with both vim and nvim. However, they > > > search for plugins at different paths. Therefore, the vim-syntastic and > > > neovim-syntastic packages, which use the copy-build-system, differ only in > > > the destination directories of the install-plan (and changing "Vim" to > > > "Neovim" in the description). > > > > > > My initial inclination is to remove the duplication of maintaining two > > > install-plans (and other arguments) by creating a procedure that would take > > > as input a Vim package that uses copy-build-system and output a Neovim > > > package with the install-plan re-written. > > > > > > Perhaps that solution would be overwrought. How would you recommend handling > > > this situation? > > > > My first idea would be to have the one package install the files into > > both directories and combine them, but I feel like it falls apart when > > it comes to searching for vim/neovim plugins and naming. One package > > with two names? Call it vim-neovim-syntastic? > > > > If vim/neovim move more apart and actually need separate plugins in the > > future then I guess it would make more sense to have two actual packages > > that can be installed by name (vim-foo and neovim-foo). > > A combined package is an interesting suggestion. However, I share the > concern about searching for packages. Having packages that are compatible > with both editors use one naming scheme and ones that are compatible with > only one use a different naming scheme seems like a implementation detail > that would be better not to expose to me. > > I drew inspiration for creating the Neovim package variants with a procedure > from the package-for-python2 and sbcl-package->ecl-package. Of course those > procedures have build system support and aren't depending on a common usage > pattern of copy-build-system. > > Is it time a a vim-build-system? Perhaps not, but I'm still not sure what > the right way forward is. ng0/nikita thought about it a few years ago but I think the copy-build-system works well enough. I know for vim we need a vim profile hook to create the documentation, does neovim need something like that too? -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted