* Application for aarch64 computing resources
@ 2021-04-02 18:43 Leo Famulari
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-04-02 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Those of us who watch the Guix build farm [0] closely have identified
the lack of capacity for building ARM binaries as a serious limitation.

As part of our efforts to improve the situation, I've applied for
donation of aarch64 (64-bit ARM) computing resources for the Guix build
farm:

https://github.com/WorksOnArm/cluster/issues/254

This is the official program for getting donations of this type; it's a
partnership between Equinix and ARM.

Let me know if you see any room for improvement; the application can be
edited.

[0] https://ci.guix.gnu.org

* Re: Application for aarch64 computing resources
@ 2021-04-02 18:56 ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2021-04-02 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari, guix-devel

On 2021-04-02, Leo Famulari wrote:
> Those of us who watch the Guix build farm [0] closely have identified
> the lack of capacity for building ARM binaries as a serious limitation.
>
> As part of our efforts to improve the situation, I've applied for
> donation of aarch64 (64-bit ARM) computing resources for the Guix build
> farm:
>
> https://github.com/WorksOnArm/cluster/issues/254
>
> This is the official program for getting donations of this type; it's a
> partnership between Equinix and ARM.
>
> Let me know if you see any room for improvement; the application can be
> edited.

You might want to also ask for hardware that has the extensions for
32-bit arm, if we also want to improve substitute availability for armhf
too. The 32-bit extensions are optional for aarch64, and thus not all
hardware supports it.

live well,
  vagrant

* Re: Application for aarch64 computing resources
@ 2021-04-02 18:57 ` Nicolò Balzarotti
From: Nicolò Balzarotti @ 2021-04-02 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari, guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> Those of us who watch the Guix build farm [0] closely have identified
> the lack of capacity for building ARM binaries as a serious limitation.
>
> As part of our efforts to improve the situation, I've applied for
> donation of aarch64 (64-bit ARM) computing resources for the Guix build
> farm:
>
> https://github.com/WorksOnArm/cluster/issues/254
> Let me know if you see any room for improvement; the application can be
> edited.

Hi! There's a typo: "dinary distros" -> binary

also, extra 'this' in: this goal this for x86

Thanks, Nicolò

* Re: Application for aarch64 computing resources
@ 2021-04-02 20:20   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-04-02 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolò Balzarotti; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, Apr 02, 2021 at 08:57:41PM +0200, Nicolò Balzarotti wrote:
> Hi! There's a typo: "dinary distros" -> binary
>
> also, extra 'this' in: this goal this for x86

Thanks! Fixed :)

* Re: Application for aarch64 computing resources
@ 2021-04-02 20:25   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-04-02 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, Apr 02, 2021 at 11:56:03AM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> You might want to also ask for hardware that has the extensions for
> 32-bit arm, if we also want to improve substitute availability for armhf
> too. The 32-bit extensions are optional for aarch64, and thus not all
> hardware supports it.

I will keep this in mind, pending their reply.

The ticket system automatically added the tag 'hardware/ampere-altra'.
So, it may be a case of "we can have any CPU we want, as long as it's an
Ampere ALTRA"... as Henry Ford said, "Any customer can have a car
painted any color that he wants so long as it is black."

* Re: Application for aarch64 computing resources
@ 2021-04-02 21:01     ` Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-04-02 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari, Vagrant Cascadian; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, 2021-04-02 at 16:25 -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> I will keep this in mind, pending their reply.
>
> The ticket system automatically added the tag 'hardware/ampere-
> altra'.
> So, it may be a case of "we can have any CPU we want, as long as it's
> an
> Ampere ALTRA"... as Henry Ford said, "Any customer can have a car
> painted any color that he wants so long as it is black."

If we have an entire Ampere Altra to build our stuff, holy we will have
so much compute power. Probably it's the fastest single machine on
earth right now.

* Re: Application for aarch64 computing resources
@ 2021-04-03 21:28 ` Katherine Cox-Buday
From: Katherine Cox-Buday @ 2021-04-03 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> As part of our efforts to improve the situation, I've applied for
> donation of aarch64 (64-bit ARM) computing resources for the Guix build
> farm:
>
> https://github.com/WorksOnArm/cluster/issues/254

I'm extremely happy to see this, and I hope we can increase our ARM
capacity. Thanks for making this submission, Leo!

--
Katherine

* Re: Application for aarch64 computing resources
@ 2021-04-03 23:14   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-04-03 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katherine Cox-Buday; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sat, Apr 03, 2021 at 04:28:28PM -0500, Katherine Cox-Buday wrote:
> I'm extremely happy to see this, and I hope we can increase our ARM
> capacity. Thanks for making this submission, Leo!

Thank you so much for your support!