On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 02:27:47PM +0100, zimoun wrote: > Hi Chris, > > On Tue, 09 Mar 2021 at 10:17, Chris Marusich wrote: > > zimoun writes: > > > >> Is it doable to have core-updates merged in the next weeks? Or not at > >> all. > > > > Do we plan to upgrade GCC? This is required for the powerpc64le-linux > > port; see below for details. > > You mean replace gcc-7 by gcc-8 or greater, right? It implies a > core-updates merge, right? > > > > The wip-ppc64le branch, which ports Guix to an architecture that can be > > run on freedom-friendly POWER9 systems like the Talos II and Blackbird > > from Raptor Computing Systems, is "almost" done, and I would really like > > to try to get it into the next release if possible. > > Could be cool! > > > However, there is still some work to do, and I wouldn't necessarily want > > to block the release just for sake of the powerpc64le-linux port. > > > > In fact, the wip-ppc64le branch was "fully functional" for a little > > while. By "fully functional," I mean that "make check" succeeded, "make > > guix-binary.powerpc64le-linux.tar.xz" succeeded, the resulting binary > > could be installed on a fresh Debian ppc64le system, the binary could > > successfully build and run GNU Hello, and the binary could successfully > > run "guix pull", and the newly installed "guix pull" could do the same. > > > > However, that was using glibc 2.31. On core-updates, glibc has been > > updated to 2.32, which unfortunately breaks wip-ppc64le. To fix it, we > > must upgrade GCC from 7 to 8 (or greater), and that is what we have done > > on the wip-ppc64le branch (upgrade GCC to 8). Currently, we are working > > through build failures that occurred as a result, but I'm optimistic that > > we can resolve those in the coming weeks. > > Thanks for the explanations. > > > > The real question, I think, is when do we plan to upgrade GCC on > > core-updates? It's still on GCC 7.5.0. The powerpc64le-linux port will > > require GCC 8 or greater, since core-updates is now using glibc 2.32. > > Does it make sense to merge wip-ppc64le and core-updates? > I wanted an Easy Win™ and I've pushed a branch wip-ppc64le-for-master, which cherry-picked (I think) all of the powerpc64le commits and adjusted them to work against master WITHOUT affecting other architectures. I don't know why I thought it was an easy win, but if it looks good to everyone I don't see why we couldn't merge powerpc64le into master by the end of the week. -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted