On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 03:19:49PM -0500, Timothy Sample wrote: > Hi janneke, > > Jan Nieuwenhuizen writes: > > > I have reset Guix' wip-full-source-bootstrap branch with a first working > > implementation of the, well, "Full Source Bootstrap" for x86-linux (and > > x86_64-linux). This bootstrap is rooted in the 357-byte hex0-seed from > > the Stage0 project (https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/stage0). > > The dream is alive! Congratulations on this big leap forward! > > > When you look at the bottom of the graph (see attached), you will notice > > "%bootstrap-guile": the driver that we use for the Guix build and also > > for "bootar", "gash", and "gash-utils". This "%bootstrap-guile" is not > > used as a seed in anything that is built, "%bootstrap-guile", "bootar", > > "gash", and "gash-utils" could be replaced with any other driver. > > I never mentioned it, but a few months ago I took a little look at > porting Gash & friends to Mes. The big issue that I ran into is that > Mes doesn’t really have a module system. My plan was to build up Mes > modules and strip down Gash requirements until they met in the middle. > Sometime (probably not worth derailing this thread right now) we should > discuss what needs to be done for Mes modules. (It looked like > something I could do with a little guidance on the design.) > > > XXX TODO: > > * wip-full-source-bootstrap > > [...] > > * wip-arm-bootstrap > > - finish; currently stuck on gawk-mesboot0 > > [...] > > It looks like you’ve made a lot of progress on this already (judging by > the rest of this thread). However, if it helps, the current Gash-Utils > awk could _probably_ be used to skip most (all?) of the old versions of > Gawk. > > Sorry I can’t be more helpful ATM. I appreciate the work you do to keep > this project rolling! > Using this post as inspiration I replaced diffutils-mesboot with gash-utils-boot. diffutils-mesboot provided cmp and diff, both of which are available in gash-utils. Unfortunately sed from gash-utils-boot didn't seem to work so I wasn't able to remove that. -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted