Ivan Vilata i Balaguer (2022-12-14 10:43:46 +0100) wrote: > Since it's unlikely that the file will change its block arrangement on disk, > and enlarging it requires another invocation of `mkswap`, it's probably enough > to tell the user to check for such warnings on `mkswap` invocation (in section > "(guix)Keyboard Layout, Networking, and Partitioning"), and then instructing > them to use `filefrag` in "(guix)Swap Space" should be ok. > > I can work on an additional patch for that, but I can't ensure that it'll be > ready before 1.4.0 (I'm not in the dev team, so I don't know what the planning > for the release isย ๐Ÿ˜‰). Ooops, too late anyway for 1.4.0 (congrats for the dev team BTW)!ย ๐Ÿ˜ I sent an alternative, more elaborated patch to #59746. Some notes: - Both `mkswap` and `swapon` complain about swap files with holes, so I deemed it redundant to add notes about that (and besides, it should be rare enough when using the `dd`-based creation technique). - `filefrag` does work on non-Ext2 filesystems (by falling back to an older ioctl), one just needs to force the extents output (`-e`) and run it as root in case the newer ioctl fails. I used that in the swap file example. - Yeah, there's a specific swap file example now with instructions on how to get the offset with `filefrag`. I hope that the new patch is more complete and straightforward than the previous one. Thanks everyone for the extra info, cheers! -- Ivan Vilata i Balaguer -- https://elvil.net/