unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* [art] Tiled Wallpaper Art
@ 2021-03-21 22:37 Sarthak Shah
From: Sarthak Shah @ 2021-03-21 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello, I put together a tiled svg wallpaper for GuixSD (attached)
using the logo resources in the git repository.
I'm not sure where to submit it

[-- Attachment #2: guixtile.svg --]
[-- Type: image/svg+xml, Size: 131018 bytes --]

* Re: [art] Tiled Wallpaper Art
@ 2021-03-21 23:42 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-03-21 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sarthak Shah; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 04:07:15AM +0530, Sarthak Shah wrote:
> Hello, I put together a tiled svg wallpaper for GuixSD (attached)
> using the logo resources in the git repository.
> I'm not sure where to submit it

Cool!

We usually keep this kind of thing in the 'guix-artwork' repository:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/

And, this is the right place to submit it.

I'm CC-ing Luis Felipe, who usually works on our art, and they can help
guide you in contributing these tiles :)

* Re: [art] Tiled Wallpaper Art
@ 2021-03-22  8:12   ` Sarthak Shah
From: Sarthak Shah @ 2021-03-22  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Thank you!

* Re: [art] Tiled Wallpaper Art
@ 2021-03-22 15:12   ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-03-22 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: Sarthak Shah, guix-devel@gnu.org

Hi, Sarthak, Leo :)

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 11:42 PM, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 04:07:15AM +0530, Sarthak Shah wrote:
>
> > Hello, I put together a tiled svg wallpaper for GuixSD (attached)
> > using the logo resources in the git repository.
> > I'm not sure where to submit it
>
> Cool!
>
> We usually keep this kind of thing in the 'guix-artwork' repository:
>
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/
>
> And, this is the right place to submit it.
>
> I'm CC-ing Luis Felipe, who usually works on our art, and they can help
> guide you in contributing these tiles :)

Well, I try to follow the process below when I want to contribute artwork to GNU Guix:

1. I send a proposal to guix-devel
2. Wait for reactions from Guix
3. If there is acceptance, I send a patch to guix-artwork with my work

In the case of your tiled background, Sarthak, step 3 above would go like this:

1. Clone the guix-artwork repository
2. Put your image in guix-artwork/backgrounds
3. Commit your changes
4. Generate a patch
5. Send it by email to guix-patches@gnu.org

You can see https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/log/ for examples of how the commit message should look like.

If you have difficulties with any of these steps, don't hesitate to ask :)

Now, about your wallpaper proposal, I would personally try to make the logos smaller, subtle and the background color a dark gray instead of black. That was my first thought.

Also, did you tried the tile in a particular desktop environment? I ask because I use GNOME 3.34.5 in the Guix System 1ab03fb, and couldn't find a way to tile it. But I did try the tile in an HTML document, and it looks seamless.

Looking at the file itself, I see it is clean. That is, Using File → Clean Up Document in Inkscape says there are no unused definitions (which are common when you import other SVGs into the document and make the file size grow).

I personally add the copyright and license information to the SVG as metadata (File → Document Properties... → Metadata).

Finally, if your artwork is not included in the system for any reason, you can always create your own repository of artwork, maybe package it for Guix, and share it with the world. I personally do that with wallpapers (https://gitlab.com/luis-felipe/guix-backgrounds).

Cheers,