unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Trouble with DHCP and GuixSD in a VM
@ 2017-05-26  3:26 Peter Baumgarten
From: Peter Baumgarten @ 2017-05-26  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hello everyone,

I am following along with the steps to get GuixSD installed in a VM here https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Installing-GuixSD-in-a-VM and I am stuck on getting the VM to have internet access. It is able to get an ip address but pinging gnu.org or google.com does not work. I am able to ping both from my host machine.

I run qemu with this command

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 1024 -smp 1 -net user -net nic,model=virtio -boot menu=on -drive file=guixsd.img -drive format=raw,file=guixsd-usb-install-0.13.0.x86_64-linux

I am running
QEMU: 2.7.1
OS: Fedora 25
GuixSD: 0.13

Any help would be appreciated and let me know if more information is needed.

* Re: Trouble with DHCP and GuixSD in a VM
@ 2017-05-26  7:03 ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2017-05-26  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Baumgarten; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Peter Baumgarten writes:

> I am following along with the steps to get GuixSD installed in a VM here https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/
> manual/guix.html#Installing-GuixSD-in-a-VM and I am stuck on getting the VM to have internet access. It is able
> to get an ip address but pinging gnu.org or google.com does not work. I am able to ping both from my host
> machine.

Don't try to use ping (ICMP) to test the network.  Use someting tcp/udp,
wget/ssh for example.

janneke

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com

* Re: Trouble with DHCP and GuixSD in a VM
@ 2017-05-26  8:36   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2017-05-26  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 26.05.2017 um 09:03 schrieb Jan Nieuwenhuizen:
>> I am able to ping both from my host machine.
> Don't try to use ping (ICMP) to test the network.  Use someting tcp/udp,
> wget/ssh for example.

This is only partly correct. ping *may* not be a sufficient network
test, since many systems block ping-requests. But if he is able to ping
both hosts from the host machine, ping is sufficient network test for
within the guest, too.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Trouble with DHCP and GuixSD in a VM
@ 2017-05-26 10:12   ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-05-26 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Nieuwenhuizen, Peter Baumgarten; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> writes:

> Peter Baumgarten writes:
>
>> I am following along with the steps to get GuixSD installed in a VM here https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/
>> manual/guix.html#Installing-GuixSD-in-a-VM and I am stuck on getting the VM to have internet access. It is able
>> to get an ip address but pinging gnu.org or google.com does not work. I am able to ping both from my host
>> machine.
>
> Don't try to use ping (ICMP) to test the network.  Use someting tcp/udp,
> wget/ssh for example.

To expand on this a little, the default networking mode in Qemu does not
support ICMP (ping). For more information (and ways to enable it), see:

http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Trouble with DHCP and GuixSD in a VM
@ 2017-05-26 17:23     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-05-26 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 10:36:07AM +0200, Hartmut Goebel wrote:

> Am 26.05.2017 um 09:03 schrieb Jan Nieuwenhuizen:
> >> I am able to ping both from my host machine.
> > Don't try to use ping (ICMP) to test the network.  Use someting tcp/udp,
> > wget/ssh for example.

I recommend `guix download`, since you know for sure that is available.
I recommended this in the manual recently, but I think the VM-related
sections should be reorganized.

* Re: Trouble with DHCP and GuixSD in a VM
@ 2017-05-26 22:55     ` Peter Baumgarten
From: Peter Baumgarten @ 2017-05-26 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel\@gnu.org