Tried to use to antioxydant build system, I cannot seem to add it as a channel but was able to clone the repo and authenticate it manually..  then  guix build -L . -f antioxidant-packages.scm fails to run with error, ice-9/eval.scm:223:20: In procedure proc: error: rust-sequoia-ipc-0.26: unbound variable hint: Did you forget a `use-modules' form? I think I am going to stick to adding libs to LD_LIBRARY_PATH manually as it works even though I know you said its wrong. -- Sent with Tuta; enjoy secure & ad-free emails: https://tuta.com Jan 3, 2024, 17:57 by maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com: > Hi, > > Apoorv writes: > >> OK, it was my bad I had an older copy of guix.scm file I was passing >> that, it didn't have cargo-build-system. But now I'm getting so many >> other errors related to cargo deps missing or version mismatch, I >> tried adding those deps spent like 1-2 hours but something dep was >> still missing or version mismatch, finally I gave up. I'm not sure how >> many deps I have to add like this.. this is getting way to complicated >> then it needs to be. >> > > cargo/rust is poorly integrated in Guix, as there's some impedance > mismatch between package handling by Guix and Cargo itself, which would > rather take care of it. > > I'd expect most Rust developpers using Guix only do so to provide > Rust/Cargo, and let Cargo take care of the rest. Otherwise you'd need > to replicate the pain the cargo-build-system goes through to make it > work. > > A more future-proof approach if you'd like to improve Rust integration > into Guix would be to continue integrating the 'antioxydant' build > system effort started by Maxime Devos [0], which doesn't rely on Cargo > to build Rust crates (and supports dynamic linking of Rust libraries, I > think?). > > [0] https://notabug.org/maximed/cargoless-rust-experiments > > -- > Thanks, > Maxim >