unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Philip Beadling <phil@beadling.co.uk>
To: Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
Cc: "guix-devel@gnu.org" <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Parallel guix builds can trample?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 07:00:01 +0000	[thread overview]

Thanks for reply Ricardo.

The source in each one will be slightly different and although I only specify commit id in the package, each package commit id will reference a different branch.

To give some context, each commit id relates to a different Pull Request branch. After my integration source branch is updated - the system then rebuilds any open PRs with the new integration update merged on top.  This checks that the PRs remain mergable against the heat of integration.

Because some PRs sit in a known broken state, it was possible to detect the problem.

I've seen the issue very sporadically for a few months, but at the moment a large number of open and broken PRs have revealed the problem to be more frequent.

Is there a way to output source hash in the log, to be sure of this?

One idea I had today is to try to reproduce the problem outside of my CI system, just by manually recreating 12 local channels, one with a known commit reference to a break in it, and have a shell script loop over, building each in the background, then waiting for all builds to terminate, and looking at their return codes.  If they all pass apart from the known broken clone, then repeat.  It won't solve the problem but will remove any other source of the problem, and can be left running in fast succession.