unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Release v1.2 and Translation
@ 2020-10-09  9:23 zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-09  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Dear Translators,

The target for the release v1.2 is Oct. 29th.

The POT files have been updated if I read correctly.  Since there are
new materials or revamped ones, help is needed. :-)

Well Guixer, if you would like to contribute and do not know how,
translation is a really good mean.  Fix typos, bad wording, new
translations, etc.  Do not hesitate to raise your hand if you need
help to start.

Currently, an .po entry looks like…

#. type: Plain text
#: doc/contributing.texi:58
msgid "The easiest way to set up a development environment for Guix is, of course, by using Guix! The following command starts a new shell where all the dependencies and appropriate environment variables are set up to hack on Guix:"
msgstr "La manière la plus simple de configurer un environnement de développement pour Guix est, bien sûr, d'utiliser Guix ! La commande suivante démarre un nouveau shell où toutes les dépendances et les variables d'environnements appropriées sont configurés pour travailler sur Guix :"

…here translated, but sometimes untranslated ones ’msgstr ""’.  Tooling
helps to manipulate such files.  For example:

  guix environment --ad-hoc emacs gettext \
  -- emacs path/to/file.po

And I am sure non-Emacs users have good other tools.

Happy translation :-)
simon

* Re: Release v1.2 and Translation
@ 2020-10-09 12:04 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-10-09 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, zimoun

If you're not an emacs user, poedit is a very good tool. I personally use offlate, my own tool, for the translations. It's especially useful for interacting with the translation platform (here the TP but I support others). Both tools are available in guix.

@ 2020-10-11 19:20   ` Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas
From: Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas @ 2020-10-11 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi everybody,

I've noticed that at least the pot file for the manual has to be updated
again, as some fragments of guix.texi has been modified since the the
pre-release was generated (e.g. section 2.4.2 Using the Offload
Facility), therefore they cannot be translated.

I've open http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/43934 with some minor details
I've found during translation, but I'd recommend to perform a complete
string freeze at some point before of the release to avoid these issues.

WDYT?

Happy hacking!
Miguel

* Re: Release v1.2 and Translation
@ 2020-10-12 12:28     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-10-12 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas <rosen644835@gmail.com> skribis:

> I've open http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/43934 with some minor details
> I've found during translation, but I'd recommend to perform a complete
> string freeze at some point before of the release to avoid these issues.

I agree that a string freeze would be nice… but it’s difficult.  There
are still a few patches out there (such as new package transformation
options) that will likely be merged soon.  That said, this is non-core
functionality, so maybe we can live with that.

Anyway, if we’re aiming for Oct. 29th, perhaps we can do a last round a
week before?

Thanks!

Ludo’.

* Re: Release v1.2 and Translation
@ 2020-10-12 13:05       ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-12 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 14:30, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas <rosen644835@gmail.com> skribis:
>
> > I've open http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/43934 with some minor details
> > I've found during translation, but I'd recommend to perform a complete
> > string freeze at some point before of the release to avoid these issues.
>
> I agree that a string freeze would be nice… but it’s difficult.  There
> are still a few patches out there (such as new package transformation
> options) that will likely be merged soon.  That said, this is non-core
> functionality, so maybe we can live with that.
>
> Anyway, if we’re aiming for Oct. 29th, perhaps we can do a last round a
> week before?

From my point of view, a string freeze starting on Mon. Oct. 26th
seems the easiest to synchronize all etc.
And unfreeze once the branch is create &co.

Cheers,

@ 2020-10-12 16:15         ` Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas
From: Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas @ 2020-10-12 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi simon and Ludo,

> On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 14:30, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>> I agree that a string freeze would be nice… but it’s difficult.  There
>> are still a few patches out there (such as new package transformation
>> options) that will likely be merged soon.  That said, this is non-core
>> functionality, so maybe we can live with that.

Yup, I understand, and of course I don't want to slow the pace of the
project at all.  I guess that everybody understands (even expects) to
wait a bit for certain translation from time to time, specially when the
alternative means waiting for fancy new features. :-)

>> Anyway, if we’re aiming for Oct. 29th, perhaps we can do a last round a
>> week before?
>
> From my point of view, a string freeze starting on Mon. Oct. 26th
> seems the easiest to synchronize all etc.
> And unfreeze once the branch is create &co.

Three days is a tight schedule, but could be enough if the number of
changes keeps close to the current one (there are already 98 fragments
without translation on guix-manual, none on guix and I didn't check
guix-packages).

Nonetheless, probably after the branch generation, I'd like to remove
the paragraph that says "some fragments may be found in English" from
the release version of the Spanish manual (but keep it with the info
downloaded by guix pull), checking that it's true, obv.

Best regards,
Miguel

* Re: Release v1.2 and Translation
@ 2020-10-12 19:49           ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-12 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas; +Cc: Guix Devel

Dear,

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 18:16, Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas
<rosen644835@gmail.com> wrote:

> > From my point of view, a string freeze starting on Mon. Oct. 26th
> > seems the easiest to synchronize all etc.
> > And unfreeze once the branch is create &co.
>
> Three days is a tight schedule, but could be enough if the number of
> changes keeps close to the current one (there are already 98 fragments
> without translation on guix-manual, none on guix and I didn't check
> guix-packages).

Maybe I am missing something.  Now the translation 1.2.0-pre1 is open,
so it is almost 3 weeks (even if I know it is maybe not enough, well
we have to fix some deadlines somehow :-)).
The last week, we could string freeze for polishing and not run after
an always moving target.
From my point view, a longer freeze would not help to have the work
done.  I do not know.  What do you think it could be better?

All the best,

@ 2020-10-12 21:26             ` Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas
From: Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas @ 2020-10-12 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

First of all, thanks.  And second, to leave a clear statement about the
main point: I agree with your proposed time frame for the string freeze,
October 26th (freeze) to 29th (release).

> Maybe I am missing something.

Probably this context helps: I've already uploaded to TP the translation
for the manual, so I can compare the "old" pot (the one uploaded to TP)
with the "new" one (the one I generated today on my machine).

> Now the translation 1.2.0-pre1 is open, so it is almost 3 weeks (even
> if I know it is maybe not enough, well we have to fix some deadlines
> somehow :-)).

Nobody likes deadlines---at least not me, hehe---but I believe they can
be really useful sometimes. :-)

> The last week, we could string freeze for polishing and not run after
> an always moving target.

Yup, that's the main advantage of freezing: you can focus as much as
possible on the little and not so little details, like bug hunting.

> From my point view, a longer freeze would not help to have the work
> done.  I do not know.  What do you think it could be better?

I agree that a longer string freeze wouldn't a big difference, and even
may hurt.  At least the manual is a huge work that probably cannot be
done in weeks from scratch, so I'm not thinking about the string freeze
as "the time frame to perform the translation" but "a time frame to
check the translation already done and fix last minute issues/features".

Besides, sorry if the word 'tight' sounded as a complaint meaning
protest, if so it'd really be a complaint meaning grief for my schedule,
as I'm unable to dedicate much time on working days.

Happy hacking and translation too!
Miguel

* Re: Release v1.2 and Translation
@ 2020-10-19 16:23               ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-19 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas; +Cc: Guix Devel

Dear,

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 23:26, Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas
<rosen644835@gmail.com> wrote:

> First of all, thanks.  And second, to leave a clear statement about the
> main point: I agree with your proposed time frame for the string freeze,
> October 26th (freeze) to 29th (release).

Hope that you noticed the slip.  The target is Nov. 6th.  See [1] for details.

Thanks,
simon

1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-10/msg00300.html