unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* ocaml - how can we get more recent version of core-kernel and common ppx'es
@ 2021-05-18  6:21 Erik
From: Erik @ 2021-05-18  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi, I have a project that requires a more recent core-kernel and some of
the ppx'es (such as ppx_fields_conv).

Being very new to guix I've managed to add/update packages for python
and ruby stuff, but this ocaml.scm file is quite different. There's a
lot going on which I'm guessing is related to complexities arising from
the whole ppx transition that happened in the ocaml ecosystem a few
years ago, or perhaps just to the somewhat unsynchronized way libraries
move to new versions of the compiler and libs (just speculating here).

Anyway afaict (with my limited guix-fu) I would either need to duplicate
a whole lot of packages or somehow reorganize things to share
definitions where it makes sense. Both those options would require some
coordination with the people who made the ocaml.scm infrastructure
first, because clearly there are projects out there that need the
current set of packages to work like they do now and I don't want to
just post a huge patch that surprises these people.

Can we get a thread going somewhere on adding a recent version of
ocaml-core-kernel (for the 4.11.1 ocaml package, possibly bumping that
to 4.11.2 in the process)?

Best regards,
Erik Lovlie