* nix installed with guix on a foreign distro
@ 2022-07-26 21:16 Nathan Dehnel
From: Nathan Dehnel @ 2022-07-26 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart, guix-devel

I just installed the nix package provided by the host distro (not
guix). Seems to work fine.

* Re: nix installed with guix on a foreign distro
@ 2022-07-26 22:49 ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-07-26 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Dehnel; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 16:16:58 -0500 Nathan Dehnel <ncdehnel@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just installed the nix package provided by the host distro (not
> guix). Seems to work fine.

Hi Nathan,

I've done that plenty of times before. That's usually how I install nix
on a foreign distro (i.e. by using apt or xbps (void linux), etc.)

What I'm asking about here is making it easy to install nix with guix on a foreign distro.

Currently, I can do the following on a foreign distro:

`guix install nix`

But the above will not set up the daemon service and create the build users, etc...

So, currently I'm not sure how we should go about supporting that on a foreign distro...

wdyt,

jgart

* Re: nix installed with guix on a foreign distro
@ 2022-07-27  4:46   ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2022-07-27  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, jgart, Nathan Dehnel

It's a common limitation of packages that provide a server. Guix doesn't manage daemons on foreign distros, it's the role of your distro.

You might be able to set it up by installing as root, maybe manually copy the systemd service and hope that's enough. We can't support all methods of running daemons there exist on foreign distros, so you're on your own.

@ 2022-07-26 22:50   ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-07-26 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:10:22 +0200 Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> wrote:
> On 26-07-2022 08:00, jgart wrote:
>
> > Hi Guixers,
> >
> > How can we make it easier to install nix with guix on a foreign distro?
> >
> > Guix System has a nix-service-type but there is no such thing on Debian.
> >
> > wdyt
>
> This sounds like a question for Nix or Debian people to me, as AFAICT it
> doesn't concern Guix.

What do you think Debian people should be providing to make it easier to run the guix installed nix package?

Or, what should I ask the Debian people if I decide to inquire with them?

all best,

jgart

* Re: nix installed with guix on a foreign distro
@ 2022-07-26 10:10 ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-07-26 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart, Guix Devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 345 bytes --]

On 26-07-2022 08:00, jgart wrote:

> Hi Guixers,
>
> How can we make it easier to install nix with guix on a foreign distro?
>
> Guix System has a nix-service-type but there is no such thing on Debian.
>
> wdyt

This sounds like a question for Nix or Debian people to me, as AFAICT it
doesn't concern Guix.

Greetings,
Maxime.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* nix installed with guix on a foreign distro
@ 2022-07-26  6:00 jgart