unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Ivan Petkov <ivanppetkov@gmail.com>
To: Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@web.de>
Cc: Guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: guix import crate wraps #:cargo-inputs twice
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 15:09:41 -0700	[thread overview]

Hey Arne,

> On Jun 30, 2019, at 2:20 PM, Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@web.de> wrote:
>
> I’ve been working at getting a current Firefox packaged, but
> got stuck now. If you’re interested I could send you all the rust
> package definitions I created for that — maybe you’ll spot the mistake
> right-away.

Thanks for your efforts! The rust integration into guix is still pretty rough around
the edges, so feel free to ask if you get stuck!

> Or, better, I’ll avoid the round-trip and just add the packages to the
> end of this email.

I skimmed some of the package definitions and overall things look good
(no warnings from missing variables, etc)!

What is the specific issue you are hitting?

I tried building some of the crates and most of the errors I saw were something
like “failed to select a version for the requirement `foo = ^0.6
candidate versions found which didn’t match: 0.8.5”.

Please note that the crate importer always picks the latest version available
on crates.io <http://crates.io/> but existing crates may depend on an earlier version. In this case
you’ll need to manually pull in the right version and update the package definition
of the consumer (ideally we can update the importer to be smart about these kinds
of imports, but this hasn’t been done yet!).

Hope this helps,
—Ivan