unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Josua Stingelin <josuast@hotmail.com>
To: Matt <matt@excalamus.com>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Guix wiki
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 09:29:35 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the summary!

Disclaimer: I'm currently not a guix user.
I've been following the gnunet for a while so I felt qualified to comment.

> Concern 1: guix will be soon be distributed over gnunet
>
>   I'm not familiar with gnunet.  Has this come to fruition? Are the
>   two mutually exclusive? Is it not possible to host the same text
>   using both gnunet and www? If the www wiki would mirror the gnunet
>   wiki, is there something that prevents gnunet mirroring www?

Guix could provide an endpoint in the gnunet network for users that prefer to
use it. However there's no reason to prevent it from being accessible using the
current TCP/IP stack.

The goal of gnunet is to replace the TCP/IP stack. It is built as an overlay
and underlay network. It can run on TCP/IP but could also replace it. Every
application using TCP/IP would have to be converted to use gnunet or
gnunet would have to emulate TCP/IP. Until then they'll run in parallel.

> Concern 5: having a wiki may confuse what the primary source of documentation is (i.e. the manual)
>
>   I'm not sure I understand why this is a problem. Of course,
>   confusion should be minimized.  But the primary source of
>   documentation should be the one that best helps the user.  Ideally,
>   that is the manual.  Is there a negative consequence for the primary
>   source not being the manual?  For example, how many of you have used
>   the Arch wiki to solve problems for something other than the Arch
>   system?  Is that a problem?

I suppose that depends on the user. As a new linux user I tended to only use
the information available for my distro. Only after knowing the differences
from the distros have I started to use a wider spectrum for information.

That may primarily be a question of the target audience for guix?

> Concern 8: the manual should have all the examples necessary for people to understand how to tweak things
>
>   Agreed.  Contributing to documentation also shouldn't be as
>   difficult as it currently is, but here we are.  Let's figure it out
>   together. :)

What about an online editing interface (analogous to Wikipedia) where everyone
can make edit suggestions.  Optimally directly converted to a patch by the
software.  Changes to the cookbook would have to be merged by the maintainers
and the community based wiki could either have a group of editors or a
consensus based workflow.

Personally I believe having one resource for information to be the preferred
solution. Maybe the Gentoo wiki could be a source of inspiration on what we'd
like to achieve?  (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page)

Kind Regards,
Josua