Yes, these are good points: the technicality required for dev work may actually deter newcomers, and therefore perhaps a higher-level online forum for beginners to ask questions could lower the barrier to entry. I am revising my vote in favour of the forum :) Etienne On Tue, Jul 18, 2023 at 4:56 PM Distopico wrote: > > I have been using and participating in other GNU distributions such as > Trisquel and Parabola, but mostly as beholder/viewer. > > After more than 10 year the forum of Trisquel still active, not like 8 > years ago before social media, but is active, and more important is used > mostly for new user, and non-technical user, also the Trisquel forum is > well indexed and when you try to find something related with Trisquel > the forums is the solutions for those issues usuall.y > > Trisquel also have mailing list but used mostly for dev/contributor and > the Irc for also for dev/contributors or more advanced users. > > Parabola as well have a forum/Irc/mailing, but in this case the forum is > not quite active, maybe because the focus of parabola is more advanced > users, also as Parabola user as well I also check Archlinux > documentation to try to fix my issues or Archlinux forums because are > more complete. > > So I don't think a forum crate fragmentation, and the Forum is an entry > place for beginners and unlike Parabola that has the documentation of > Arch, Guix need to have your own solutions and your own documentation > and a forum is a good place to build that. > > So said that: > - Forum: A good place for beginner an non-technical user (I guess all > Guix user require some technical knowledge), also a good place for > create history and user documentation/solutions. > > - Irc: For quick question, developer and contributor discussions and > more advanced users (bridge to Matrix would be good). > > - Mailing List: For contributors, developers, and more long-terms > questions, as well more advanced users. > > on the other hand I think that the mailing lists create a more conducive > environment for debate than the forum itself, but again, for new user a > Forum is a better place or to find quick solutions which on Irc are hard > to find. > >