unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* How is Guix going to able to install GNOME if it has a systemd dependency?
@ 2014-09-05  0:37 Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2014-09-05  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

How is Guix going to be able to install GNOME if Guix uses dmd while GNOME
has a dependency for systemd? Will there be a compatiblity layer for
systemd scripts? Or will GNOME have to go back to being init-agnostic?

* Re: How is Guix going to able to install GNOME if it has a systemd dependency?
@ 2014-09-05  8:15 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-09-05  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel

Omar Radwan <toxemicsquire4@gmail.com> skribis:

> How is Guix going to be able to install GNOME if Guix uses dmd while GNOME
> has a dependency for systemd?

My understanding is that GNOME can still be used without systemd.

> Will there be a compatiblity layer for systemd scripts?

Since systemd “unit” files are purely declarative, we could imagine have
a parser in dmd for these files that would automatically create the
corresponding <service> object.  There may be the problem that some
features and semantics may differ, so that will need more investigation.

> Or will GNOME have to go back to being init-agnostic?

Various OSes and distros rely on that, but I can’t tell if that’s
something the GNOME project will deem important.

Thanks,
Ludo’.