unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Viewing the Guix manual in Emacs under Guix
@ 2015-09-30  1:02 Vicente Vera
From: Vicente Vera @ 2015-09-30  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: konrad.hinsen; +Cc: Guix-devel

I am too using Guix solely as a package manager. To open the Guix Info
manual in Emacs i use 'C-u C-h i' and go to the shortest path to find
the manual, which would be '/root/.guix-profile/share/info/'.

* Viewing the Guix manual in Emacs under Guix
@ 2015-09-28 16:25 Konrad Hinsen
From: Konrad Hinsen @ 2015-09-28 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi everyone,

I have just set up a virtual machine for test-driving Guix as a software
development and deployment tool in scientific computing. I found the
Guix SD to be a bit too minimal for my needs, so I started from a
minimal Debian 8 system and added the Guix package manager. I haven't
done anything else but installing software until now, but so far it
looks very good!

However, I would appreciate having the Guix manual more easily
accessible in my main working environment, which is Emacs. I expected it
to show up in the info directory, but it doesn't. I have to use the info
tool from the command line, which is, well, suboptimal.

I tried to fix this myself as an exercise in working with Guix, but it
seems that Guix profiles do not handle INFOPATH at all. I do not
consider setting INFOPATH in my .bashrc for now, as that would be
cheating ;-)

So is there a Guix-y way to add info files from packages to Emacs' info
directory?

Konrad.