unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Graph an operating-system derivation
@ 2016-09-03 13:48 David Craven
From: David Craven @ 2016-09-03 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

I'm trying to view the graph of an entire operating-system. I don't
know yet if it's too complicated to actually produce something useful
:)

This is what I tried:

guix graph -e '((@ (gnu system) operating-system-derivation) ((@ (guix
scripts system) read-operating-system)
"gnu/system/examples/bare-bones.tmpl"))'

But it fails with "doesn't evaluate to a package". Is there a simple
way to do this / a feature that's generally useful?

Thanks,
David

* Re: Graph an operating-system derivation
@ 2016-09-03 14:33 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-09-03 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Craven; +Cc: guix-devel

Howdy!

David Craven <david@craven.ch> skribis:

> I'm trying to view the graph of an entire operating-system. I don't
> know yet if it's too complicated to actually produce something useful
> :)
>
> This is what I tried:
>
> guix graph -e '((@ (gnu system) operating-system-derivation) ((@ (guix
> scripts system) read-operating-system)
> "gnu/system/examples/bare-bones.tmpl"))'
>
> But it fails with "doesn't evaluate to a package". Is there a simple
> way to do this / a feature that's generally useful?

You can graph the OS derivation like this:

  guix graph -t derivation $(guix system build -d config.scm)

‘dot’ takes ages to process it and the result is too big to be of any
use (it might be less bad with use an interactive graph navigation tool
like Tulip).

Otherwise there’s also ‘guix system {extension,shepherd}-graph’.

What info would you like to see on the graph?

Ludo’.

* Re: Graph an operating-system derivation
@ 2016-09-03 15:13   ` David Craven
From: David Craven @ 2016-09-03 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

>  guix graph -t derivation $(guix system build -d config.scm)

Thanks!

> ‘dot’ takes ages to process it and the result is too big to be of any
> use (it might be less bad with use an interactive graph navigation tool
> like Tulip).

Yes, guix graph produces the output for 24032 boxes...

> What info would you like to see on the graph?

Just trying to better understand how guix works. I wanted to find out
where the locale-2.24.drv comes from, but I found it (it's in
gnu/system/locale.scm obviously :)

Maybe guix edit could also work for derivations? It's nice to be able
to find the source that created/caused the derivation.

* Re: Graph an operating-system derivation
@ 2016-09-05 20:50     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-09-05 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Craven; +Cc: guix-devel

David Craven <david@craven.ch> skribis:

>> What info would you like to see on the graph?
>
> Just trying to better understand how guix works.

‘guix system extension-graph’ is an attempt to help with that, by
showing how pieces are connected together, but it doesn’t show the whole
story…

> I wanted to find out where the locale-2.24.drv comes from, but I found
> it (it's in gnu/system/locale.scm obviously :)

:-)

> Maybe guix edit could also work for derivations? It's nice to be able
> to find the source that created/caused the derivation.

Unfortunately derivations are comparable to assembly without debugging
info, so there’s no way to link back to the source.

(There’s no easy way to fix that, notably because .drv live in the same
global store and different sources can lead to the same .drv.)

Ludo’.