On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote: >> I've created a branch named wip-gobject-introspection with the patch >> and version 1.42.0. I've also pushed version updates for pango and >> gdk-pixbuf compatible with the former. [...] > Mark H Weaver skribis: > >> I went down this road, and found that a great many things fail. I don't >> remember finding a single package that uses gobject-introspection that >> worked without updating. >> >> I got stuck on eudev. The newest version doesn't work, and I didn't see >> anything in their git repo to fix it either. >> >> Before moving forward on this, can you find a way to build eudev with >> gobject-introspection-1.42.0? The attached patch fixes the build of eudev with the newer gobject-introspection. It turns out that g-ir-scanner looks for the C compiler as either 'cc' or as the environment variable 'CC'. So, the fix was easy in retrospective :-). The question is: do we want to make a 'cc' symlink to 'gcc' in the 'gcc' package? This is something that many distributions do. If we don't, we may have to make a patch similar to the attached one for several packages (or patch 'gobject-introspection' to look for 'gcc' by default). Personally I would prefer the symlink approach. >> >> Also, I'm currently working on upgrading almost every package in >> xorg.scm, as well as glib and dbus. I'll push it as a branch in the >> next day or two. It probably makes the most sense to build your branch >> on top of mine. Now that your updates are in master, I've merged them into the branch wip-gobject-introspection. To help see what works and what not, it would be helpful to set up hydra to build the wip-gobject-introspection branch. WDYT? Regards, Fede