unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Andy Tai <atai@atai.org>
To: guix-devel@gnu.org, Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Translation files .gmo and packaging
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 10:25:26 -0800	[thread overview]

Hi, I wonder how is this different from the common practice of
projects using GNU autotools, which the project in question is also
one, that the Makefile.in was generated from Makefile.am, but the
tarball may contain the "generated" Makefile.in and configure and Guix
won't bother to re-generate these two files.

In addition, git is a late comer to the free software world and tar
ball releases have been the preferred form of "sources" from the days
before git; whether git repo for the sources exists would not have
mattered, if the canonical source of the project source code is the
official release tarball.