If commit i adds a new signing key to the channel’s authorisations file and commit i+1 is signed with that signing key, then commit i+1 can be used in channel intro. You can’t add a signing key to the authorisations in a commit and sign that same commit with the new key. Is that issue here? Jake On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 at 2:13 pm, wrote: > > > from reading about guix authentication I think the new signing key > > > must be first added to the .guix-authoriations file and that commit > > > must signed with the current signing keys before the new signing > > > key can be used. > > > > Yes, it’s likely the problem; the rest of the description you gave > > elaexuotee looks fine to me. > > > > (No need to rewrite the history; changing the introduction is enough.) > > > > Ludo’. > > Well, the catch 22 is that I've lost the original key and so can only sign > .guix-authorizations with the new one. > > > (No need to rewrite the history; changing the introduction is enough.) > > Without the old key, I'm gathering that a history rewrite is the only way > right > now. Seems like a fresh channel introduction should be enough, but our > current > authorization check appears to look at earlier commits even in that case, > IIUC. > > Maybe forcing history rewrites on key loss is the desired behavior? I'm not > sure. From a client perspective, the only difference is whether or not you > have > to specify --allow-downgrades on the next pull. In either case a channel > intro > update is necessary. > >