unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* virtual network interfaces in container
@ 2019-02-13 17:55 Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2019-02-13 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello devel!

please is there any wip on implementing virtual network interfaces in
"guix system container"s?

AFAIU now the only way to have a container with virtualized network
interfaces is to use "guix system docker-image", right?

Thanks!
Giovanni

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: virtual network interfaces in container
@ 2019-02-13 18:00 ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2019-02-13 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Biscuolo; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 12:55 PM Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> wrote:

> Hello devel!
>
> please is there any wip on implementing virtual network interfaces in
> "guix system container"s?

Not that I know of. I punted on that when I wrote the container
implementation because it's a lot of extra work and complexity.  It
can certainly be added if someone were to put in the effort to figure
out what needs to be done.  IIRC there are some bindings to C
libraries that may be needed.

- Dave

* Re: virtual network interfaces in container
@ 2019-02-14  0:16 ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2019-02-14  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Biscuolo; +Cc: guix-devel

Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> writes:

> please is there any wip on implementing virtual network interfaces in
> "guix system container"s?
>
> AFAIU now the only way to have a container with virtualized network
> interfaces is to use "guix system docker-image", right?

So, a while back, I did send a patch to at least allow sharing the hosts
network, just like the --network flag to guix environment.

The patch is here [1], unfortunately, it's been a while since I looked
at it. I should really try and neaten it up and get it merged in, but
it's there if that's useful to you.

1: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28128

Chris

@ 2019-02-14  7:42   ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2019-02-14  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello David,

"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> writes:

[...]

>> please is there any wip on implementing virtual network interfaces in
>> "guix system container"s?
>
> Not that I know of. I punted on that when I wrote the container
> implementation because it's a lot of extra work and complexity.  It
> can certainly be added if someone were to put in the effort to figure
> out what needs to be done.

OK thank you for the information

Giovanni

[...]