unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* [off-topic]
@ 2021-10-20  8:29 Jonathan McHugh
From: Jonathan McHugh @ 2021-10-20  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

I noticed an interesting report^1 on the holistic approach from Emacs and how its 'additive solutions' assist problem solving for researchers. Given Guix's emphasis on reproducible research I felt it worth sharing given overlapping concerns.

https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/matthey/jmtr/pre-prints/content-jm_jmtr_johnsapr22
```
It is human nature to prefer additive problem solving even if removal may be the more efficient solution. This heuristic has wide ranging implications when dealing with science, innovation and complex problem solving. This is compounded when dealing with these issues at an institutional level. Additive solutions to workflows with extra software tools and proprietary digital solutions can impede work without offering any advantages in terms of FAIR data principles or productivity. The below Viewpoint highlights one possible workflow and the mentality underpinning it with an aim to incorporate FAIR data, improved productivity and longevity of written documents while improving workloads within industrial R&D.
```

^1 via the blog Irreal

====================
Jonathan McHugh
indieterminacy@libre.brussels

* Re: [off-topic]
@ 2021-10-20 11:59 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-10-20 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan McHugh; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

For French-speaker, here Emacs+Org+Guix at the previous Guix wrokshop:

<https://hpc.guix.info/static/doc/atelier-reproductibilit%C3%A9-2021/marek-fel%C5%A1%C3%B6ci-org-guix.pdf>
<https://hpc.guix.info/static/videos/atelier-reproductibilit%C3%A9-2021/marek-fel%C5%A1%C3%B6ci.webm>

I also recommend this MOOC as a starting point for Reproducible
notebook using Org-mode (I do not remember if it available for
non-French speaker):

<https://www.fun-mooc.fr/en/courses/reproducible-research-methodological-principles-transparent-scie/>

A part using Guix should be added later, for the next sessions of this MOOC. :-)

Cheers,
simon