unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Removing/replacing “Guix in action” video from the home page?
@ 2020-10-12 12:59 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-10-12 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Luis Felipe

Hello Guix!

The home page has a “Guix in action” video that’s becoming outdated.  It
would be nice to have an updated version of it using in particular the
short aliases (‘guix search’, ‘guix install’, etc.).  Perhaps we could
use ‘emacs-gif-screencast’ to make it hopefully lightweight non-blurry
(and with a larger font size).

There’s also some overlap with the “Everyday Guix video”, though it’s
not quite the same either.

Thoughts?  Any volunteers to produce an updated version?  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Removing/replacing “Guix in action” video from the home page?
@ 2020-10-12 14:31 ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2020-10-12 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

> The home page has a “Guix in action” video that’s becoming outdated. It
> would be nice to have an updated version of it using in particular the
> short aliases (‘guix search’, ‘guix install’, etc.). Perhaps we could
> use ‘emacs-gif-screencast’ to make it hopefully lightweight non-blurry
> (and with a larger font size).

Or maybe try with asciinema to record video. The problem I see with GIF for this is that people don't have playback control.

* Re: Removing/replacing “Guix in action” video from the home page?
@ 2020-10-13  1:17   ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-10-13  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel

I send a ton of time making videos online, so I can probably spare some
time to do this.  I'll have a video posted in a day or two.

Thanks,

Joshua

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: Removing/replacing “Guix in action” video from the home page?
@ 2020-10-13 17:19     ` Bonface M. K.
From: Bonface M. K. @ 2020-10-13 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel

Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:

> I send a ton of time making videos online, so I can probably spare some
> time to do this.  I'll have a video posted in a day or two.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joshua

What's your video setup look like? Moreso [free]
tools that you'd use to cut, splice and clean
audio.

> --
> Joshua Branson
> Sent from Emacs and Gnus
> https://gnucode.me
> https://video.hardlimit.com/accounts/joshua_branson/video-channels
> "You can have whatever you want, as long as you help enough other people get what they want." - Zig Ziglar

--
Bonface M. K. (https://www.bonfacemunyoki.com)
Chief Emacs Mchochezi / Twitter: @BonfaceKilz

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Removing/replacing “Guix in action” video from the home page?
@ 2020-10-13 20:39   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-10-13 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> skribis:

>> The home page has a “Guix in action” video that’s becoming outdated. It
>> would be nice to have an updated version of it using in particular the
>> short aliases (‘guix search’, ‘guix install’, etc.). Perhaps we could
>> use ‘emacs-gif-screencast’ to make it hopefully lightweight non-blurry
>> (and with a larger font size).
>
> Or maybe try with asciinema to record video. The problem I see with GIF for this is that people don't have playback control.

Right.  Asciinema is nice but we’d need to serve a whole bunch of JS.
Perhaps the ideal thing would be to fall back to Webm/GIF when JS is
unavailable…

@ 2020-10-13 20:59       ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-10-13 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bonface M. K.; +Cc: Luis Felipe, guix-devel

I would describe my video set up as pretty simple:

$ wf-recorder --audio

If you watch any of my below videos, you'll see me take breaks like, "Oh
hold on just a second, I think my landlord is knocking at my front
door. I'll be right back."

--

@ 2020-10-14  0:14     ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2020-10-14  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

> > > The home page has a “Guix in action” video that’s becoming outdated. It
> > > would be nice to have an updated version of it using in particular the
> > > short aliases (‘guix search’, ‘guix install’, etc.). Perhaps we could
> > > use ‘emacs-gif-screencast’ to make it hopefully lightweight non-blurry
> > > (and with a larger font size).
> >
> > Or maybe try with asciinema to record video. The problem I see with GIF for this is that people don't have playback control.
>
> Right. Asciinema is nice but we’d need to serve a whole bunch of JS.
> Perhaps the ideal thing would be to fall back to Webm/GIF when JS is
> unavailable…

JS? Oh no. I thought asciinema generated a video only (I haven't use it myself). We only need webm video.

* Re: Removing/replacing “Guix in action” video from the home page?
@ 2020-10-14  0:58         ` Bonface M. K.
From: Bonface M. K. @ 2020-10-14  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel

Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:

> I would describe my video set up as pretty simple:
>
> $ wf-recorder --audio

Thanks for sharing!

> If you watch any of my below videos, you'll see me take breaks like, "Oh
> hold on just a second, I think my landlord is knocking at my front
> door. I'll be right back."

I think I saw one of them a while back. I'll try
watching more of them :)

--

@ 2020-10-14 20:43       ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-10-14 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel

Well, I've created a basic guix package management video.  It's about 7
minutes long.  You'll notice I made it a little goofy.  Essentially
building the XDG mime database takes a while.  So I just read from
Stallman's essays during the downtime.

If someone wants to show me how to install packages without having to
wait so long for the xdg mime database to build, please let me know, and
I'll re-make the video.

https://video.hardlimit.com/videos/watch/c0dfb36a-a84b-4363-8b1b-17aeadd4aaaf

Thanks,

Joshua

--

@ 2020-10-16 10:27         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-10-16 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> skribis:

> Well, I've created a basic guix package management video.  It's about 7
> minutes long.  You'll notice I made it a little goofy.  Essentially
> building the XDG mime database takes a while.  So I just read from
> Stallman's essays during the downtime.
>
> If someone wants to show me how to install packages without having to
> wait so long for the xdg mime database to build, please let me know, and
> I'll re-make the video.
>
> https://video.hardlimit.com/videos/watch/c0dfb36a-a84b-4363-8b1b-17aeadd4aaaf

Thanks!  I think 7 minutes is too long; IMO we should aim for ~1mn–1.5mn
at most as is currently the case.  Also full screen, large enough fonts,
no “guix pull” warnings, ‘--max-jobs=1’ on the daemon side to reduce
verbosity.  Slick and to-the-point!  :-)

Thinking about it, there are probably tools to replay commands in a
terminal such that we could automate all this, no?

@ 2020-10-16 10:36           ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-16 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Joshua Branson; +Cc: guix-devel, Luis Felipe

Hi,

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 at 12:28, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> > https://video.hardlimit.com/videos/watch/c0dfb36a-a84b-4363-8b1b-17aeadd4aaaf
>
> Thanks!  I think 7 minutes is too long; IMO we should aim for ~1mn–1.5mn
> at most as is currently the case.  Also full screen, large enough fonts,
> no “guix pull” warnings, ‘--max-jobs=1’ on the daemon side to reduce
> verbosity.  Slick and to-the-point!  :-)

The video is really long mainly because each command takes literally
ages.  Well the "XDG mine" step to be precise; maybe Joshua you have
something misconfigured.
And from my point of view, something without voice seems better.

All the best,
simon

* Re: Removing/replacing “Guix in action” video from the home page?
@ 2020-10-16 15:26             ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2020-10-16 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, Joshua Branson, guix-devel

> > Thanks! I think 7 minutes is too long; IMO we should aim for ~1mn–1.5mn
> > at most as is currently the case. Also full screen, large enough fonts,
> > no “guix pull” warnings, ‘--max-jobs=1’ on the daemon side to reduce
> > verbosity. Slick and to-the-point! :-)
>
> The video is really long mainly because each command takes literally
> ages. Well the "XDG mine" step to be precise; maybe Joshua you have
> something misconfigured.

If the slowness at the end can be avoided by configuring something, I'd like to know, because that slowness is always the case in my experience. For example, installing the program Joshua mentioned earlier, wf-recorder, which is quite small, took ~7 minutes in my computer (Intel® Core™ i3-8100 CPU @ 3.60GHz × 4, 4 GiB RAM, 1 TB HDD).

Also, in my case, it is common for guix commands to take long seconds to display any feedback when called. Actually, the current video shows guix working at a speed I've never experienced myself.

So I wonder if the video should include these inconveniences, which people will find once they install the software. I wouldn't like the video or anything in the website to feel like false, mainstream advertising.

* Re: Removing/replacing “Guix in action” video from the home page?
@ 2020-10-16 19:57           ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2020-10-16 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Luis Felipe, guix-devel

Ahh.  Thanks for reminding me!  I forgot about those "guix pull warnings".
I have a local guix channel.  I can disable that for the video.  I will
also add --max=jobs=1 to the daemon side for the video.

I do agree with you that the video is too long, because the XDG mime step
takes some time to finish.  I wonder what I have mis-configured...I'm using
Guix system on a Librebooted T400.  ext4.

I can always remove the audio.  :)

I'll remake said video removing the guix pull errors, and maybe the commands
will not take so long to finish.

Thanks,

Joshua

@ 2020-10-16 20:00             ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2020-10-16 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe, zimoun; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel

I do share Luis' sentiments that perhaps the video should mention that the
install commands may take some time to complete, but in the interest of brevity,
we can always cut those bits out of the video.

Do you know what that means!?  I get to learn video editing!  SILLY SALTY
SALAMANDERS THAT'S AWESOME!  :)

Do ya'll have any video editors that you'd recommend?

@ 2020-10-16 21:04               ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2020-10-16 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso@dismail.de; +Cc: zimoun, Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel

> I do share Luis' sentiments that perhaps the video should mention that the
> install commands may take some time to complete, but in the interest of brevity,
> we can always cut those bits out of the video.
>
> Do you know what that means!? I get to learn video editing! SILLY SALTY
> SALAMANDERS THAT'S AWESOME! :)
>
> Do ya'll have any video editors that you'd recommend?

I heard Pitivi is good, but it is not packaged yet.

* Re: Removing/replacing “Guix in action” video from the home page?
@ 2020-10-18  3:42               ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2020-10-18  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> writes:

> [...]

I also experience poor performance on profile generation when using Guix
on an older machine equipped with spinning disks.  This kind of
operation appears to be IO hungry, and performs much faster on solid
state drives (SSDs).

I've opened an issue for the poor performance on spinning drives here:
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/44053.

Thanks,

Maxim

* Re: Removing/replacing “Guix in action” video from the home page?
@ 2020-10-18 11:13                 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-18 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel, Luis Felipe

Dear,

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 at 05:42, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also experience poor performance on profile generation when using Guix
> on an older machine equipped with spinning disks.  This kind of
> operation appears to be IO hungry, and performs much faster on solid
> state drives (SSDs).
>
> I've opened an issue for the poor performance on spinning drives here:
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/44053.

I am the first who complains about slowness (see patches for "guix
search" :-)).  However, I am not able to reproduce even on an older
machine equipped with spinning disks because it depends on the number
of packages living in the profiles.  Therefore, the trick is to split
all the big profiles into smaller ones.  See for reference:
<https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/html_node/Guix-Profiles-in-Practice.html#Guix-Profiles-in-Practice>.

All the best,
simon

* Re: Removing/replacing “Guix in action” video from the home page?
@ 2020-10-18 20:55                   ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-10-18 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Maxim Cournoyer, Luis Felipe, Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel

I don't want to complain (because I'm probably not going to be able to
fix any issues that I spot), but it does seem to take a while for me to
install packages, at least the XDG mime step.  It's not a huge issue for
me.  I just realize that installing packages takes more time . :)  But
if we are calling this an "issue", your suggestion to use numerous
packages seems like a "work-around" rather than a "fix".

Again, I'm not complaining.  I'm just offering my thoughts.

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus
https://gnucode.me
https://video.hardlimit.com/accounts/joshua_branson/video-channels
"You can have whatever you want, as long as you help enough other people get what they want." - Zig Ziglar

* ‘xdg-mime-database’ profile hook is slow
@ 2020-10-21  9:49                     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-10-21  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: guix-devel, Luis Felipe, Maxim Cournoyer

Hi,

Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> skribis:

> I don't want to complain (because I'm probably not going to be able to
> fix any issues that I spot), but it does seem to take a while for me to
> install packages, at least the XDG mime step.  It's not a huge issue for
> me.  I just realize that installing packages takes more time . :)  But
> if we are calling this an "issue", your suggestion to use numerous
> packages seems like a "work-around" rather than a "fix".

Just having identified which part is low is already a step forward.  :-)
I hadn’t noticed, but indeed the “XDG MIME database” steps takes a
while.  For my “big” user profile, on an SSD, it takes more than 4s:

$ time guix build --check $(guix gc -R $(guix gc --derivers $(readlink -f ~/.guix-profile)) |grep xdg-mime-database.drv)
The following profile hook will be built:
   /gnu/store/dhcv26m2k3kyx92wf9palp8byhblgjrr-xdg-mime-database.drv
building XDG MIME database...
successfully built /gnu/store/dhcv26m2k3kyx92wf9palp8byhblgjrr-xdg-mime-database.drv
/gnu/store/q25yv8hil0281x7zm25l259xvjfwwrsx-xdg-mime-database

real    0m4.241s
user    0m1.689s
sys     0m0.101s
$ guix package -I |wc -l
296

It’s worse on a cold cache:

$ drv="$(guix gc -R $(guix gc --derivers $(readlink -f ~/.guix-profile)) |grep xdg-mime-database.drv)"
$ sudo sh -c 'echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches'
$ time guix build --check "$drv"
The following profile hook will be built:
   /gnu/store/dhcv26m2k3kyx92wf9palp8byhblgjrr-xdg-mime-database.drv
building XDG MIME database...
successfully built /gnu/store/dhcv26m2k3kyx92wf9palp8byhblgjrr-xdg-mime-database.drv
/gnu/store/q25yv8hil0281x7zm25l259xvjfwwrsx-xdg-mime-database

real    0m5.872s
user    0m0.314s
sys     0m0.102s

And it’s probably worse on spinning disks?  What timings do you get?

We should profile this hook and see if it’s the ‘union-build’ call
that’s taking time or the ‘update-mime-database’ invocation.
‘union-build’ tends to be very I/O-intensive.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: ‘xdg-mime-database’ profile hook is slow
@ 2020-10-21 10:23                       ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-21 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, Luis Felipe, Maxim Cournoyer

Hi Ludo,

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 11:49, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> It’s worse on a cold cache:

Well, a lot of Guix operations are really slow on cold cache. ;-)

> And it’s probably worse on spinning disks?  What timings do you get?

Some timings are provided by bug report #44053 which tracks the issue.

    <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/44053>

Cheers,
simon

* Re: ‘xdg-mime-database’ profile hook is slow
@ 2020-10-27 23:14                       ` Joshua Branson
       [not found]                         ` <87sg9sm2qf.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-10-27 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès
  Cc: zimoun, guix-devel, Luis Felipe, Maxim Cournoyer, 44053

I am just posting my performance numbers.  Hopefully you all find it helpful.
I am running Guix System on a Lenovo Thinkpad T400 with 8GB on a hard drive.

#+BEGIN_SRC sh :results output :exports both
guix describe
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
#+begin_example
Generation 49	Oct 20 2020 01:15:33	(current)
  my-personal-packages 547d900
    repository URL: https://notabug.org/jbranso/guix-packages.git
    branch: master
    commit: 547d900c25d2bb9490946162e0fcb315d6bace68
  guix 93c2518
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: 93c251818dcd2bf5f60f42e595504293ee83371a

GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH="/home/joshua/prog/gnu/guix/guix-packages/"
#+end_example

The "XDG MIME database" takes a while.

#+BEGIN_SRC sh :results output :exports both
time guix build --check $(guix gc -R $(guix gc --derivers $(readlink -f ~/.guix-profile)) |grep xdg-mime-database.drv)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: The following profile hook will be built:
:    /gnu/store/lmhklgdscbfp5c6gl81skyz0azfg156m-xdg-mime-database.drv
: building XDG MIME database...
: successfully built /gnu/store/lmhklgdscbfp5c6gl81skyz0azfg156m-xdg-mime-database.drv
: successfully built /gnu/store/lmhklgdscbfp5c6gl81skyz0azfg156m-xdg-mime-database.drv
: /gnu/store/x8q8g9l0jhrpmjjm3xsh3ib1z8l79cyx-xdg-mime-database
:
: real	0m43.716s
: user	0m3.626s
: sys	0m0.258s

Cold cache:

#+BEGIN_SRC sh :results output :exports both
drv="$(guix gc -R $(guix gc --derivers $(readlink -f ~/.guix-profile)) |grep xdg-mime-database.drv)"
sudo sh -c 'echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches'

time guix build --check "$drv"
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: The following profile hook will be built:
:    /gnu/store/lmhklgdscbfp5c6gl81skyz0azfg156m-xdg-mime-database.drv
: building XDG MIME database...
: successfully built /gnu/store/lmhklgdscbfp5c6gl81skyz0azfg156m-xdg-mime-database.drv
: successfully built /gnu/store/lmhklgdscbfp5c6gl81skyz0azfg156m-xdg-mime-database.drv
: /gnu/store/x8q8g9l0jhrpmjjm3xsh3ib1z8l79cyx-xdg-mime-database
:
: real	1m29.606s
: user	0m1.401s
: sys	0m0.238s

I have 64 packages in my profile.

#+BEGIN_SRC sh :results output :exports both
guix package -I | wc --lines
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: 64

If you want to see all packages:

#+BEGIN_SRC sh :results output :exports both
guix package -I
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
#+begin_example
guile-colorized	0.1	out	/gnu/store/5h0jfssgyx49cq82wrmw57an7ngb7kkz-guile-colorized-0.1
font-hack	3.003	out	/gnu/store/52r8anazd4rnkq9m3vxk700jga5h0i74-font-hack-3.003
font-dejavu	2.37	out	/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37
font-adobe-source-code-pro	2.030R-ro-1.050R-it	out	/gnu/store/l5m74158njcan3p784gqhkir6zyk0bcp-font-adobe-source-code-pro-2.030R-ro-1.050R-it
sicp	20170703-1.225c172	out	/gnu/store/x2safq6fvcbhp2rljny89qiq74y1xd13-sicp-20170703-1.225c172
unzip	6.0	out	/gnu/store/1zx8knb7h79q6cr4kwhbz6z6v609309w-unzip-6.0
font-google-noto	20171025	out	/gnu/store/g2szydnbvs7qqy2nf7qylba0rapajmd8-font-google-noto-20171025
font-awesome	4.7.0	out	/gnu/store/gknn01i1nr80apmcx42w36cqcz3zzri2-font-awesome-4.7.0
texinfo	6.7	out	/gnu/store/w8k9hcigvhzrlrblv8lgqj77sm3833rs-texinfo-6.7
gcc-toolchain	10.2.0	out	/gnu/store/pknm43xsza6nlc7bn27djip8fis92akd-gcc-toolchain-10.2.0
recutils	1.8	out	/gnu/store/qlx179h9mfdv4zywx2ias2jmkygvs834-recutils-1.8
guile-readline	3.0.2	out	/gnu/store/va6l1ivclww22fi38w5h99pb4ndn99hg-guile-readline-3.0.2
gtypist	2.9.5	out	/gnu/store/03wd707lyz49f2r14cm9ybyzh7vfvi0j-gtypist-2.9.5
scsh	0.0.0-1.1144324	out	/gnu/store/57frd08q6gyd7ysq3aqwlxxmify3w53h-scsh-0.0.0-1.1144324
make	4.3	out	/gnu/store/4k33n2nhsnnaxk2ip75gj7xiqdjns5hq-make-4.3
isync	1.3.3	out	/gnu/store/745qmx9mmnwq0j3zrd50qcdd2bgv5clz-isync-1.3.3
jmacs	27.1	out	/gnu/store/0hqdddkvhi2acxjdssdi5as3wj6cgvnz-jmacs-27.1
glibc-locales	2.31	out	/gnu/store/x9c4dk4zc9mi5j9hm3lq1q539kkdhkln-glibc-locales-2.31
guile	3.0.4	out	/gnu/store/ah16zr8mmfkqy23rr7jy5a842ca1q9h1-guile-3.0.4
guile-json	4.3.2	out	/gnu/store/12y1s0p3585ydf336gq85kjh5217pnzp-guile-json-4.3.2
guile-syntax-highlight	0.1	out	/gnu/store/dwjqscckpypqfq38hc97x5ipc9fplpp9-guile-syntax-highlight-0.1
haunt	0.2.4	out	/gnu/store/ccvqa9a6yclgkpi9izhpgf1vgjaghqvr-haunt-0.2.4
gnutls	3.6.14	out	/gnu/store/0f6agk6xk8rcz99907d39nd1vzmc4abq-gnutls-3.6.14
wget	1.20.3	out	/gnu/store/d7b16jqrgb1jz65hl7vnz261dbxmjh3s-wget-1.20.3
gnupg	2.2.23	out	/gnu/store/89cjqnar4aacg58wl6cm1h41rym9mv4l-gnupg-2.2.23
sassc	3.6.1	out	/gnu/store/6pqn2i0r12ypss13mdvsypskkcpaagji-sassc-3.6.1
qterminal	0.15.0	out	/gnu/store/y7qrfa78y785xfajb3gvvhwcm2d02l81-qterminal-0.15.0
dmenu	5.0	out	/gnu/store/393frjc5xjaab6nvp3wxpajb1rc6gynr-dmenu-5.0
openssh	8.4p1	out	/gnu/store/k8lnv9cqk6m15k18hhzg7w696r1vxx1v-openssh-8.4p1
grim	1.3.1	out	/gnu/store/9v5i9q7kwcmq1q31qri0icjkhh3csh9r-grim-1.3.1
evince	3.36.5	out	/gnu/store/arwvpbrzsch4w6afkpqln6625dfl0bz8-evince-3.36.5
pulseaudio	13.0	out	/gnu/store/19wcjfwdr3hzq1a4wcpld1zdrjichck0-pulseaudio-13.0
libreoffice	6.4.6.2	out	/gnu/store/7rbk52nzqmakd5whds5a6f07xrd2k870-libreoffice-6.4.6.2
termite	15	out	/gnu/store/8lqfy0mxqnq3xg24gwsxvzpxnvv6firh-termite-15
mpv	0.32.0	out	/gnu/store/2i2gzn7fa8qq0f1jkqhiyl0xw63fjr4w-mpv-0.32.0
pinentry	1.1.0	out	/gnu/store/bdsk9yq48lx1f7y7xr9sv4yrmm4ync9b-pinentry-1.1.0
glib	2.62.6	doc	/gnu/store/ql2226knbh4q04bbdiqcppvs5rjyl3ga-glib-2.62.6-doc
pidgin	2.13.0	out	/gnu/store/fd06njmc5maid7b474v224iazy7bc20h-pidgin-2.13.0
gimp	2.10.20	out	/gnu/store/m397hvwhsd0l6v5d0vqxxkm4iyp0p9w3-gimp-2.10.20
sway	1.4	out	/gnu/store/27ggd92in0hpgmkgk79n2iy4angjxwvl-sway-1.4
wf-recorder	0.2.1	out	/gnu/store/glc6y75l4czpfyrgbrbgxg38ig004v1p-wf-recorder-0.2.1
wofi	1.1.2	out	/gnu/store/qaylx0k6wg3awsamn2rqr41q9c8iwypg-wofi-1.1.2
linphoneqt	4.1.1	out	/gnu/store/wlcviacpagxqnw1737x131if0fj7kzjv-linphoneqt-4.1.1
qbittorrent	4.2.5	out	/gnu/store/29cjbdmz809pdvmylbx307l2p7zv0ma9-qbittorrent-4.2.5
pavucontrol	4.0	out	/gnu/store/0ilm4lncr6gpg4h3zdvaxg1pibkm6934-pavucontrol-4.0
git	2.28.0	send-email	/gnu/store/g5x559qk5yxs19jcxqplqv8b9y32vak2-git-2.28.0-send-email
flatpak	1.8.2	out	/gnu/store/ywfsnccvlr0j6afb5vnl3z4ismvcfbz6-flatpak-1.8.2
xdg-desktop-portal	1.7.2	out	/gnu/store/jkjx5dd7s3dp58p2hwsm8n2rm15z90ys-xdg-desktop-portal-1.7.2
xdg-desktop-portal-gtk	1.7.1	out	/gnu/store/zhssisyp66vggjnqi5y8nb1xnk55vnw1-xdg-desktop-portal-gtk-1.7.1
xeyes	1.1.2	out	/gnu/store/4jx8i19xd94d421n4acy2c1p0nn9h6d0-xeyes-1.1.2
emacs-polymode	0.2	out	/gnu/store/gmm1y1xahg44yw9ghsf0kwd40w86q7mf-emacs-polymode-0.2
notmuch	0.31	out	/gnu/store/0js5dwj8nxj0x0hxfllgzz4zxlsmyrz4-notmuch-0.31
msmtp	1.8.12	out	/gnu/store/s1g4nskvnsx9ww0032xg23548h7mnwvq-msmtp-1.8.12
youtube-viewer	3.7.9	out	/gnu/store/jm7q53lpda3a4rs2z7xv7cgig7adpncb-youtube-viewer-3.7.9
guile-curl	0.6	out	/gnu/store/9nnclxjxakwx9yc381arqrk1nhld21b5-guile-curl-0.6
qemu	5.1.0	out	/gnu/store/qzi36f60d2zlrdj9mg6b5y4i00w1fzfq-qemu-5.1.0
icecat	78.3.1-guix0-preview1	out	/gnu/store/71fkykdajhkshsvzwrnqm4lsc6qgycg2-icecat-78.3.1-guix0-preview1
git	2.28.0	out	/gnu/store/j66k3x1wz0bc6nh09dwa6i4jwahqcabi-git-2.28.0
guix	1.1.0-29.4e3ed9b	out	/gnu/store/irirj169rncank4y7i6n8qyiiqbs76qr-guix-1.1.0-29.4e3ed9b
ffmpeg	4.3.1	out	/gnu/store/sg4yq9i0v1lphvs1vx33dw9mn801adrd-ffmpeg-4.3.1
pavucontrol-qt	0.15.0	out	/gnu/store/9d0zp4wps5kpbqsl4yvjb96spb5xwz9b-pavucontrol-qt-0.15.0
clementine	1.3.1-2.4619a4c	out	/gnu/store/5392fysgmmi2jmn98maz9ihzn9ahzhw9-clementine-1.3.1-2.4619a4c
mako	1.4	out	/gnu/store/k83v9wz6szf6k2p2sz1amvwqm687j3h2-mako-1.4
ungoogled-chromium	86.0.4240.75-0.c34a56d	out	/gnu/store/m0s9mrbirbssis5nn9agx8k4sl2ck0y9-ungoogled-chromium-86.0.4240.75-0.c34a56d
#+end_example

@ 2020-10-28  0:55                 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-10-28  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: zimoun, Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel

So I've spent an hour today making a new video.  It's about 10 minutes
long.  I'll cut out some bits of it via video editors.  Just an update.

Thanks,

Joshua

--

@ 2020-10-28 12:59                   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-10-28 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: guix-devel

Joshua Branson 写道:
> So I've spent an hour today making a new video.  It's about 10
> minutes
> long.

Thank you!

> I'll cut out some bits of it via video editors.

I can't recommend one myself but I've heard good things in general
of Kdenlive & OpenShot.  Both in Guix.  Probably working.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Removing/replacing “Guix in action” video from the home page?
@ 2020-10-28 21:46                   ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2020-10-28 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

I've got a two minute video now.  How's this one?

https://video.hardlimit.com/videos/watch/5d2cd193-4734-44c4-9455-1778e084a130

@ 2020-10-28 21:48                         ` Luis Felipe
       [not found]                         ` <87sg9sm2qf.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Luis Felipe @ 2020-10-28 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson
  Cc: Ludovic Courtès, zimoun, guix-devel, Maxim Cournoyer,
	44053@debbugs.gnu.org

> #+BEGIN_SRC sh :results output :exports both
> time guix build --check $(guix gc -R $(guix gc --derivers $(readlink -f ~/.guix-profile)) |grep xdg-mime-database.drv)
> #+END_SRC

I haven't run this command because I don't know what it does (how will it affect my profile?), but if you think the results from this command would be more useful than what I posted to issue #44053, please let me know and I'll run it.

* Re: ‘xdg-mime-database’ profile hook is slow
@ 2020-10-28 22:38                           ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-28 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe, Joshua Branson; +Cc: guix-devel, Maxim Cournoyer

Dear,

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 at 21:48, Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> wrote:

>> #+BEGIN_SRC sh :results output :exports both
>> time guix build --check $(guix gc -R $(guix gc --derivers $(readlink -f ~/.guix-profile)) |grep xdg-mime-database.drv)
>> #+END_SRC
>
> I haven't run this command because I don't know what it does (how will
> it affect my profile?), but if you think the results from this command
> would be more useful than what I posted to issue #44053, please let me
> know and I'll run it.

The command will not affect your profile.

1. Get the real file of all the symlinks forest

        $ readlink -f ~/.guix-profile
        /gnu/store/z32aid8bjbz7ylwbjfh5x6lbg2g7fiv0-profile

2. Get the derivation that generated this file

        $ guix gc --derivers /gnu/store/z32aid8bjbz7ylwbjfh5x6lbg2g7fiv0-profile
        /gnu/store/wnjk3zsrw6s55hqj0qbbwhx635i5s6n0-profile.drv

3. Get all that it is used by the previous derivation

        $ guix gc -R /gnu/store/wnjk3zsrw6s55hqj0qbbwhx635i5s6n0-profile.drv
        /gnu/store/z41v36kbd8xa1l2ga2lsaa287yyk7wdb-nasm-2.14.02-guile-builder
        /gnu/store/ich43zbavdqphzshfr5q5d00arissxa7-nasm-2.14.02.tar.xz.drv
        /gnu/store/0rifkf1snq6fjz7l4dpg5j3i2wgj7gxp-nasm-2.14.02.drv

        [...] a **lot** of items

        /gnu/store/3x2kak8abb6z2klch72kfff2qxzv00pj-libpng-1.6.37
        /gnu/store/3qrm6z400hh66x1kxd4zrbnkkylwcvg8-ca-certificate-bundle.drv
        /gnu/store/2jlwri28aycsayql85rfphrks721ny1k-xdg-mime-database.drv
        /gnu/store/1i57pf9q71sm7gpqkh15h677794y61dz-profile-builder
        /gnu/store/0llx3y194278l5ksr4xh9kc64mh8nn8d-nss-certs-3.52.1
        /gnu/store/wnjk3zsrw6s55hqj0qbbwhx635i5s6n0-profile.drv

4. Get only the one you are interested in

        $ guix gc -R /gnu/store/wnjk3zsrw6s55hqj0qbbwhx635i5s6n0-profile.drv | grep xdg-mime-database.drv
        /gnu/store/2jlwri28aycsayql85rfphrks721ny1k-xdg-mime-database.drv

5. Build again this derivation (--check)

        $ time guix build --check /gnu/store/2jlwri28aycsayql85rfphrks721ny1k-xdg-mime-database.drv
        The following profile hook will be built:
           /gnu/store/2jlwri28aycsayql85rfphrks721ny1k-xdg-mime-database.drv
        building XDG MIME database...
        successfully built /gnu/store/2jlwri28aycsayql85rfphrks721ny1k-xdg-mime-database.drv
        /gnu/store/hrcj1h0hl9f6hm1akh682zj1mhpwbx4c-xdg-mime-database

        real	0m3.493s
        user	0m0.435s
        sys	0m0.066s

Does it make sense?

Well from my POV, the information is #44053 is enough for now. :-)

All the best,
simon

* Re: ‘xdg-mime-database’ profile hook is slow
@ 2020-10-29 12:35                             ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2020-10-29 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Joshua Branson, Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel, Maxim Cournoyer

It makes more sense now, thank you zimoun :)

>     Well from my POV, the information is #44053 is enough for now. :-)

Ok.

* Re: Removing/replacing “Guix in action” video from the home page?
@ 2020-10-31 21:56                     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-10-31 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Joshua,

jbranso@dismail.de skribis:

> I've got a two minute video now.  How's this one?
>
> https://video.hardlimit.com/videos/watch/5d2cd193-4734-44c4-9455-1778e084a130

Thanks again for taking the time!  I like this one better.  It still has
slightly annoying artifacts like --max-jobs > 1, starting from a
non-empty profile, details like that.

But really, I think we should find a way to script that (including the
typing) so we can record the actual output of the command, and have a
reproducible way to redo it.

WDYT?

@ 2020-11-01  0:50                     ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2020-11-01  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, guix-devel

I'm ok with that.  I guess I'm not certain how to go about scripting this sort of thing.  :(

October 31, 2020 5:56 PM, "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi Joshua,
>
> jbranso@dismail.de skribis:
>
>> I've got a two minute video now. How's this one?
>>
>> https://video.hardlimit.com/videos/watch/5d2cd193-4734-44c4-9455-1778e084a130
>
> Thanks again for taking the time! I like this one better. It still has
> slightly annoying artifacts like --max-jobs > 1, starting from a
> non-empty profile, details like that.
>
> But really, I think we should find a way to script that (including the
> typing) so we can record the actual output of the command, and have a
> reproducible way to redo it.
>
> WDYT?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

* Re: bug#44053: ‘xdg-mime-database’ profile hook is slow
       [not found]                         ` <87sg9sm2qf.fsf@gnu.org>
@ 2020-11-02 12:53                           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-11-02 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: guix-devel, Luis Felipe, 44053, Maxim Cournoyer

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> skribis:

> Apart from LibreOffice, I found that ‘share/mime/packages’ is provided
> by at least: hugin, gcr, fontforge.  Most GUI packages don’t have it.
> So in practice, we’re often rebuilding the exact same database.

On closer inspection, the time-consuming bit is processing
‘share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml’ (from ‘shared-mime-info’),
which is quite large and leads to the creation of hundreds of file.  We
end up re-processing it every time.  This is particularly wasteful
because the ‘shared-mime-info’ package already contains the result of
applying ‘update-mime-database’ to itself.

Unfortunately, AIUI,

  update-mime-database(X ∪ Y) ≠ update-mime-database(X) ∪ update-mime-database(Y)

(For example, the files
‘share/mime/{globs,magic,XMLnamespaces,subclasses,aliases,types,generic-icons,icons,treemagic,mime.cache}’
concatenate info from X and Y.)

So it would seem we cannot simply used the pre-built database from
‘shared-mime-info’ and merge it with that of the other packages, at
least not without changing ‘update-mime-database’ or re-implementing
parts of it on our side.

@ 2020-11-02 14:04                             ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-11-02 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: guix-devel, Luis Felipe, 44053, Maxim Cournoyer

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> skribis:
>
>> Apart from LibreOffice, I found that ‘share/mime/packages’ is provided
>> by at least: hugin, gcr, fontforge.  Most GUI packages don’t have it.
>> So in practice, we’re often rebuilding the exact same database.
>
> On closer inspection, the time-consuming bit is processing
> ‘share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml’ (from ‘shared-mime-info’),
> which is quite large and leads to the creation of hundreds of file.  We
> end up re-processing it every time.  This is particularly wasteful
> because the ‘shared-mime-info’ package already contains the result of
> applying ‘update-mime-database’ to itself.

Based on these observations, I added a fast path to the
‘xdg-mime-database’ hook:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=76ea70bd70aeb76570445c11cea2f98139192b54

It’s down to 0s in the common case where the profile doesn’t contain any
packages providing ‘share/mime/packages’.

@ 2020-11-03 22:30                       ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-11-03 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Dear,

Thank you for working on this.

On Sun, 01 Nov 2020 at 00:50, jbranso@dismail.de wrote:
> October 31, 2020 5:56 PM, "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>>> I've got a two minute video now. How's this one?
>>>
>>> https://video.hardlimit.com/videos/watch/5d2cd193-4734-44c4-9455-1778e084a130
>>
>> Thanks again for taking the time! I like this one better. It still has
>> slightly annoying artifacts like --max-jobs > 1, starting from a
>> non-empty profile, details like that.
>>
>> But really, I think we should find a way to script that (including the
>> typing) so we can record the actual output of the command, and have a
>> reproducible way to redo it.
>
> I'm ok with that.  I guess I'm not certain how to go about scripting this sort of thing.  :(

Maybe, the generation of this video could use scripts from there:

   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/videos.git/tree/

or even maybe be included.

WDYT?

All the best,
simon

* Re: bug#44053: ‘xdg-mime-database’ profile hook is slow
@ 2020-11-03 23:32                             ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-11-03 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, Luis Felipe, 44053, Maxim Cournoyer

Hi,

>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=76ea70bd70aeb76570445c11cea2f98139192b54

Clever workaround!  What are now the performances on previous examples
(same profiles and same packages)?

> Unfortunately, AIUI,
>
>   update-mime-database(X ∪ Y) ≠ update-mime-database(X) ∪ update-mime-database(Y)

Hum?  Interesting… well weird!  If it is not a “morphism” then it is not
really an updater.  Anyway.

I am curious about the comparison:

   time(update-mime-database(X ∪ Y))
vs
   time(update-mime-database(X)) + time(update-mime-database(Y))
vs
   time(update-mime-database(X ∩ Y))

> So it would seem we cannot simply used the pre-built database from
> ‘shared-mime-info’ and merge it with that of the other packages, at
> least not without changing ‘update-mime-database’ or re-implementing
> parts of it on our side.

’shared-mime-info’ is simply a package, right?  So what does it means:
«Find a way to avoid reprocessing 'shared-mime-info'» in:

                 ;; the database.  TODO: Find a way to avoid reprocessing
                 ;; 'shared-mime-info', which is the most expensive one.
[...]
                 (invoke #+(file-append shared-mime-info
                                        "/bin/update-mime-database")
                         destdir)))))))

?  Well, I miss why and how ’shared-mime-info’ could be the culprit here
or what could be improved with “shared-mime-info”?  Maybe replace the
“lazy reference” by a strict one if it makes sense.

All the best,
simon

* Re: bug#44053: ‘xdg-mime-database’ profile hook is slow
@ 2020-11-05 14:47                               ` Luis Felipe
       [not found]                                 ` <87blga3l7e.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Luis Felipe @ 2020-11-05 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun
  Cc: Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel, 44053@debbugs.gnu.org,
	Maxim Cournoyer

From: zimoun @ 2020-11-05 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel, 44053@debbugs.gnu.org, Maxim Cournoyer

Hi,

On Thu, 05 Nov 2020 at 14:47, Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> wrote:

>> Clever workaround! What are now the performances on previous examples
>> (same profiles and same packages)?
>
> In my case there seem to be no improvement (using Guix 5e7cf66fb35780f930ad0bc5fe21ac330df4411d).
>

> $ time guix package -i perl --max-jobs=1

[...]

> real	8m38,121s
> user	0m2,742s
> sys	0m0,338s

Thanks.  But it is hard to conclude because the previous timing is
missing.  The right experiment should be:

old=c73496f433044a76003b33c3855bb35ecd0df87f
new=5e7cf66fb35780f930ad0bc5fe21ac330df4411d
guix time-machine --commit=$old -- help
guix time-machine --commit=$new -- help

drv=$(guix gc -R $(guix gc --derivers $(readlink -f ~/.guix-profile)) |grep xdg-mime-database.drv)

guix package -I |wc -l
time guix time-machine --commit=$old -- build --check $drv
time guix time-machine --commit=$new -- build --check $drv

And personally, I get:

18

Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
The following profile hook will be built:
   /gnu/store/2jlwri28aycsayql85rfphrks721ny1k-xdg-mime-database.drv
building XDG MIME database...
successfully built /gnu/store/2jlwri28aycsayql85rfphrks721ny1k-xdg-mime-database.drv
/gnu/store/hrcj1h0hl9f6hm1akh682zj1mhpwbx4c-xdg-mime-database

real	0m8.063s
user	0m6.226s
sys	0m0.282s

Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
The following profile hook will be built:
   /gnu/store/2jlwri28aycsayql85rfphrks721ny1k-xdg-mime-database.drv
building XDG MIME database...
successfully built /gnu/store/2jlwri28aycsayql85rfphrks721ny1k-xdg-mime-database.drv
/gnu/store/hrcj1h0hl9f6hm1akh682zj1mhpwbx4c-xdg-mime-database

real	0m8.016s
user	0m6.223s
sys	0m0.243s

Well, I have only 18 packages in my ~/.guix-profile.  That’s why the
difference is not visible and the “time-machine” is totally dominating
here.

All the best,
simon

* Re: bug#44053: ‘xdg-mime-database’ profile hook is slow
@ 2020-11-05 17:59                                   ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2020-11-05 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun
  Cc: Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel, 44053@debbugs.gnu.org,
	Maxim Cournoyer

I don't understand, I posted my original timing in https://issues.guix.gnu.org/44053#1 .

> The right experiment should be:

> old=c73496f433044a76003b33c3855bb35ecd0df87f
> new=5e7cf66fb35780f930ad0bc5fe21ac330df4411d
> guix time-machine --commit=$old -- help
> guix time-machine --commit=$new -- help
>
> drv=$(guix gc -R $(guix gc --derivers $(readlink -f ~/.guix-profile)) |grep xdg-mime-database.drv)
>
> guix package -I |wc -l
> time guix time-machine --commit=$old -- build --check $drv
> time guix time-machine --commit=$new -- build --check $drv

I get this:

yo@gnu: ~❯ guix package -I |wc -l
85

yo@gnu: ~❯ time guix time-machine --commit=$old -- build --check $drv
Actualizando el canal 'guix' del repositorio Git en 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Actualizando el canal 'luflac-x' del repositorio Git en 'git@gitlab.com:luis-felipe/guix-channel-x.git'...
Se construirá la siguiente extensión del perfil:
   /gnu/store/8hswzn212w7wqlr7cgsvq5v7zjh62chc-xdg-mime-database.drv
construyendo la base de datos MIME XDG...
/gnu/store/8hswzn212w7wqlr7cgsvq5v7zjh62chc-xdg-mime-database.drv construido satisfactoriamente
/gnu/store/i4qslq2517pwkwb5dyivrg8idsjd8n11-xdg-mime-database

real	0m56,245s
user	0m4,324s
sys	0m0,218s

yo@gnu: ~❯ time guix time-machine --commit=$new -- build --check $drv
Actualizando el canal 'guix' del repositorio Git en 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Actualizando el canal 'luflac-x' del repositorio Git en 'git@gitlab.com:luis-felipe/guix-channel-x.git'...
Se construirá la siguiente extensión del perfil:
   /gnu/store/8hswzn212w7wqlr7cgsvq5v7zjh62chc-xdg-mime-database.drv
construyendo la base de datos MIME XDG...
/gnu/store/8hswzn212w7wqlr7cgsvq5v7zjh62chc-xdg-mime-database.drv construido satisfactoriamente
/gnu/store/i4qslq2517pwkwb5dyivrg8idsjd8n11-xdg-mime-database

real	0m43,272s
user	0m4,214s
sys	0m0,200s

* Re: bug#44053: ‘xdg-mime-database’ profile hook is slow
@ 2020-11-06  9:12                               ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-11-06  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: guix-devel, Luis Felipe, 44053, Maxim Cournoyer

Hello,

zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

>> So it would seem we cannot simply used the pre-built database from
>> ‘shared-mime-info’ and merge it with that of the other packages, at
>> least not without changing ‘update-mime-database’ or re-implementing
>> parts of it on our side.
>
> ’shared-mime-info’ is simply a package, right?  So what does it means:
> «Find a way to avoid reprocessing 'shared-mime-info'» in:
>
>                  ;; the database.  TODO: Find a way to avoid reprocessing
>                  ;; 'shared-mime-info', which is the most expensive one.
> [...]
>                  (invoke #+(file-append shared-mime-info
>                                         "/bin/update-mime-database")
>                          destdir)))))))

‘shared-mime-info’ contains ‘share/mime/freedesktop.org.xml’, which is
by far where ‘update-mime-database’ spends most of its time.

But it’s wasteful because ‘shared-mime-info’ already contains the result
of running ‘update-mime-database’ on itself.

HTH!

@ 2020-11-06 12:55                                     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-11-06 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel, 44053@debbugs.gnu.org, Maxim Cournoyer

Hi,

On Thu, 05 Nov 2020 at 17:59, Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> wrote:

Therefore, it is nice improvement! :-)

> real	0m56,245s
> user	0m4,324s
> sys	0m0,218s

> real	0m43,272s
> user	0m4,214s
> sys	0m0,200s

Because, I bet that most of the time is spent in the “time-machine”
part.  I mean, compare with:

 time guix time-machine --commit=$new -- help

All the best,
simon

@ 2020-11-06 13:57                                   ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2020-11-06 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès
  Cc: zimoun, guix-devel, 44053@debbugs.gnu.org, Maxim Cournoyer

From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-11-08 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel, 44053@debbugs.gnu.org, Maxim Cournoyer

Hi,

Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> skribis:

> Compared to grafting, the last step "construyendo perfil con X paquetes..." ("building profile with X packages..."), just stays there without change for several minutes, so it actually seems slower to me. Initially, I thought that guix had frozen.
>
> Also, even though, the "building profile" step has a throbber (| / - \) to indicate that something is being done, it frequently stops in one of the frames of the sequence and stays there until the end.

Interesting, so we should profile that step and see what can be done.  I
suspect it’s I/O-bound, but maybe we can at least improve feedback.

Thanks,
Ludo’.