unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Licensing issue with Gmsh?
@ 2020-10-02  8:07 zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-02  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Dear,

I am updating the package gmsh.  Currently, the part ’contrib/metis’ is
removed with the comment “non-free METIS code”:

      (snippet
       ;; Remove non-free METIS code
       '(begin
          (delete-file-recursively "contrib/metis")
          #t))))

However, METIS is licensed Apache v2.0 and note that there is one
package ’metis’ (“guix show metis”) but it cannot be used, anyway.

The code is here:

  <https://gitlab.onelab.info/gmsh/gmsh/-/tree/master/contrib/metis>

What is wrong with the licensing?  Only the header of files?

Note that Debian compiles it with METIS:

<https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/gmsh/-/blob/master/debian/rules#L37>

Nnot checked with other distributions.)

I am inclined to enable METIS because it appears to me fine.  However,
since freedom is essential, it would like another advice and/or comment
on.

Thank you in advance.

All the best,
simon

ps:
I discussed this point upstream:
<https://gitlab.onelab.info/gmsh/gmsh/-/issues/1013>

* Re: Licensing issue with Gmsh?
@ 2020-10-02 12:28 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-02 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Dear,

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 10:07, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

>       (snippet
>        ;; Remove non-free METIS code
>        '(begin
>           (delete-file-recursively "contrib/metis")
>           #t))))

[...]

> I am inclined to enable METIS because it appears to me fine.  However,
> since freedom is essential, it would like another advice and/or comment
> on.

Gmsh had updated from METIS 4 (non-free) to METIS 5 (free) in commit
eaff7f6477fe876991615cfa4b5832bd5f12994b.

<https://gitlab.onelab.info/gmsh/gmsh/-/commit/eaff7f6477fe876991615cfa4b5832bd5f12994b>

The current Gmsh version 2.16.0 had been released on the Jan. 3rd and
the commit updating METIS 4->5 on the Sept., 19th.

All the best,
simon

* Re: Licensing issue with Gmsh?
@ 2020-10-02 16:26 Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2020-10-02 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Simon,

Thank you for working on the Gmsh package.  There have been a great
many changes since the last update.

> I am inclined to enable METIS because it appears to me
fine.  However,
> since freedom is essential, it would like another advice and/or
comment
> on.

There is a distinction between METIS (free) and ParMETIS (non-free)
which may have influenced the decision to remove the whole metis
directory.  As far as I can see Gmsh does not use any files from the
ParMETIS library.

There is only a parmetis.c file included in the metis directory.
However, it is commented out in CMakeLists.txt.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Licensing issue with Gmsh?
@ 2020-10-02 17:35 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-02 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix Devel

Dear Paul,

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 18:26, Paul Garlick
<pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> wrote:

> Thank you for working on the Gmsh package.  There have been a great
> many changes since the last update.

Yeah, the Christophe's talk at last FOSDEM was exciting about the new
features in 4.x. ;-)
And since the Guix v1.2 is in the pipe...

> There is a distinction between METIS (free) and ParMETIS (non-free)
> which may have influenced the decision to remove the whole metis
> directory.  As far as I can see Gmsh does not use any files from the
> ParMETIS library.

That's what Christophe (Geuzaine) told me.  Cool!

> There is only a parmetis.c file included in the metis directory.
> However, it is commented out in CMakeLists.txt.

Here [1] the patch updating Gmsh.  Well, I missed this file (the base
code changed a lot since last time I was playing with; ~2012-2016),
thank you for explaining.
To be "Guix compliant", this parametis.c file should be removed, right?

[1] <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/43761>

All the best,
simon

* Re: Licensing issue with Gmsh?
@ 2020-10-02 21:59   ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2020-10-02 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Simon,

> There is only a parmetis.c file included in the metis directory.
> However, it is commented out in CMakeLists.txt.

> To be "Guix compliant", this parametis.c file should be removed,
> right?

The file is part of METIS and thereby covered by the Apache license.
It only provides entry points for ParMETIS, so ignoring it in the build
stage, in the way that Gmsh does, seems to be appropriate.

However, I notice from the patch that the Guix package metis is
included as an input.  This means that the whole of the bundled
'contrib/metis' directory could be deleted after all.  If I remember
correctly CMake gives preference to the 'system' packages ahead of the
bundled packages.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Licensing issue with Gmsh?
@ 2020-10-02 23:49     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-02 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the review.

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 23:59, Paul Garlick
<pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> wrote:

> The file is part of METIS and thereby covered by the Apache license.
> It only provides entry points for ParMETIS, so ignoring it in the build
> stage, in the way that Gmsh does, seems to be appropriate.

Fine.

> However, I notice from the patch that the Guix package metis is
> included as an input.  This means that the whole of the bundled
> 'contrib/metis' directory could be deleted after all.  If I remember
> correctly CMake gives preference to the 'system' packages ahead of the
> bundled packages.

Sorry, today was a bad day and  I failed in multi-tasking.
Well, I have tried to use the Guix package 'metis' instead of the
bundled one -- without success about the test suite.  Then when
sending the patch, I missed the remove (my personal unsafe-threading
;-)).  So the package v2 fixes that.  But the '(modules ...)' is not
necessary anymore.

All in all, the patch v3 is the good one.  Sorry for the mess.

<http://issues.guix.gnu.org/43761#3>

All the best,
simon