unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
To: Edouard Klein <edk@beaver-labs.com>
Cc: guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: What to do when udpating a package ?
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 15:36:28 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear Edouard,

In complement to what Julien said. :-)

On Fri, 15 May 2020 at 13:36, Edouard Klein <edk@beaver-labs.com> wrote:

> - Some packages would not build, for reasons unrelated to the update of
>   python-prompt-toolkit. Namely:
>   - fdroidserver@1.1.1  will not build because of a failure of
>   python-apache-libcloud@2.4.0
>   - python-matplotlib-documentation@3.1.2 and
>   python-ipython-documentation@7.9.0 will not build because of a failure
>   of texlive-union-51265
>   - python-rpy2@3.0.4-1.19868a8 would not build
>   All those failure also happen on origin/master on my machine, and are
>   therefore unrelated to the changes I made.
>   --> Is any failure to build expected on origin/master ?

No, it is not expected.
As Forrest Gump says: "It happens, sometimes." :-)

>   --> If so, where can I check the official build success/fail status of
>       a package ?

Well, the link is ci.guix.gnu.org then top right, for example the query:

   spec:guix-master system:x86_64-linux python-apache-libcloud

But personally I do not always understand what Cuirass reports.
Therefore, I prefer to use data.guix.gnu.org then for example:

http://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/fdroidserver/output-history

I do not know the correct way to reach this webpage so I type directly
the URL -- well to be exact, I have an Emacs interactive function so I
type M-x my/guix-data fdroidserver RET and it opens the above webpage.

Then I click to one "Failed dependency" and I arrive to:

http://data.guix.gnu.org/build-server/1/build?derivation_file_name=/gnu/store/ccrk10g4vpzf6nk7x8j1a36s0b4z0w2l-fdroidserver-1.1.1.drv

and I can click to the failing derivation and then I arrive to
ci.guix.gnu.org and I can give a look to the raw log.

Well, I do not know if it is the correct way, but it is how I am doing
time to time to see what happens on the build farm.  Be careful of
your current Guix version and the Guix version on ci you are
examining.

>   --> If not, how can I check that my master version of guix is correct
>        and is building everything it should build ?

I do not understand what you mean.
"guix weather" to see if the substitute is available.
"guix challenge" to compare your own builds to the builds on substitutes.

>   --> In any case, how can I check that my change does not negatively
>        affect these packages ?

Which packages?  The ones which do not currently build?

> - Some of the failing-in-master packages do not depend directly on
>   python-prompt toolkit, but they depend on a package that depends on
>   etc.
>   e.g. fdroidserver@1.1.1 depends on python-androguard@3.2.1 which
>   depends on python-ipython@7.9.0.
>   --> fdroidserver@1.1.1 fails to build for reasons unrelated to
>   python-prompt-toolkit, but both python-androguard@3.2.1 and
>   python-ipython@7.9.0. both build with the new version of
>   python-prompt-toolkit. Would I be correct in assuming that
>   frdoidserver would build with the new version ? I assume not, but I
>   would like to be sure

I miss something about what depends on what. :-)
I do not have really the graph under my eyes. ;-)

> - python-iml@0.6.2 does not build with prompt-toolkit in version 3 (the
>   version is explicitly stated as >=2.0 and <2.1 in the Python files), but
>   when I add prompt-toolkit-2 to its propagated-inputs, it does.
>   Given that python-ipython has prompt-toolkit (implicitly in version
>   3) installed in its propagated inputs, this means that any environment
>   with python-iml will have prompt-toolkit in both its version 2 and 3
>   installed at the same time. I feel uneasy about this.
>   --> Is this a problem ?
>   --> Should I just trust that if it builds, then everything is
>       allright ?

No, it should pass the tests too.  If there is tests. :-)
If not, you should install it locally and try it.
Because the package could build but should have runtime issues.

>   --> Is there a way to check the graph to make the edges as
>       sparse as possible (i.e. remove as many edges as possible without
>       changing the reachability) ? Would this be something we want ?
>       According to me it would because it would make the packages
>       definitions shorter and the computations on the graph faster, but I'm
>       not sure.

What do you mean by "reachability"?
There is a new feature to "guix graph": '--path'.  You can find the
shortest path from one package to another, e.g.,

  guix graph --path guix-jupyter python

What do you mean by "the edges as sparse as possible"?

All the best,
simon