unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* HTTP and FTP proxies for guix package / guix-daemon
@ 2015-06-08 22:03 Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠)
From: Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠) @ 2015-06-08 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

When running guix in a VM I usually run into various connectivity
problems. VirtualBox on Windows seems to do some helpful FTP
transparent proxying which breaks everything and in another case I
don't have internet connectivity due to how the VM is set up.

Is there a way to make guix-daemon talk to a proxy when downloading
substitutions and source archives?

I tried starting it with http_proxy set, but I'm not sure it responded
to it (as I'm writing this ISTR having read and tested that an updated
guix does this right).

This is only for http, though. Lots of source archives get fetched
over ftp, is there some way to make it get ftp over a proxy too?

* Re: HTTP and FTP proxies for guix package / guix-daemon
@ 2015-06-09  1:11 ` Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠)
From: Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠) @ 2015-06-09  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 12:03 AM, Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠)
<gnu@clacke.user.lysator.liu.se> wrote:

> Is there a way to make guix-daemon talk to a proxy when downloading
> substitutions and source archives?
>
> I tried starting it with http_proxy set, but I'm not sure it responded
> to it (as I'm writing this ISTR having read and tested that an updated
> guix does this right).

Replying to self: Nope, I tried it with guix-0.8.2.5875eb7
(2015-06-08) and it seems to be ignoring http_proxy and ftp_proxy.

* Re: HTTP and FTP proxies for guix package / guix-daemon
@ 2015-06-09  1:14   ` Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠)
From: Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠) @ 2015-06-09  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 3:11 AM, Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠)
<gnu@clacke.user.lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 12:03 AM, Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠)
> <gnu@clacke.user.lysator.liu.se> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to make guix-daemon talk to a proxy when downloading
>> substitutions and source archives?
>>
>> I tried starting it with http_proxy set, but I'm not sure it responded
>> to it (as I'm writing this ISTR having read and tested that an updated
>> guix does this right).
>
> Replying to self: Nope, I tried it with guix-0.8.2.5875eb7
> (2015-06-08) and it seems to be ignoring http_proxy and ftp_proxy.

Aaand final reply to self, found this on bug-guix@:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2015-04/msg00072.html

I guess I will just have to wait. But I'll make sure to chime in that
ftp_proxy ought to be honored as well as http_proxy and https_proxy.

* Re: HTTP and FTP proxies for guix package / guix-daemon
@ 2015-06-10 19:35     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-06-10 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠); +Cc: guix-devel

"Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠)" <gnu@clacke.user.lysator.liu.se> skribis:

> Aaand final reply to self, found this on bug-guix@:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2015-04/msg00072.html
>
> I guess I will just have to wait. But I'll make sure to chime in that
> ftp_proxy ought to be honored as well as http_proxy and https_proxy.

Note that http_proxy is honored currently, at least if you use
Guile 2.0.11.  Only https_proxy and ftp_proxy aren’t honored, as already
discussed.

Could you email bug-guix@ regarding ftp_proxy, so we keep track of the
issue?

Thanks,