An expanded user-base brings with it an expanded developer-base. On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 3:50 PM Ryan Prior wrote: > I don't know in depth how Proton works internally, but I think it includes > non free DLLs, including DRM support, to improve compatibility with Windows > games. If my understanding is correct, shipping Proton and games that > depend on it as part of Guix would be a tacit endorsement of proprietary > software that exercises unjust control over users. The GNU project, as a > matter of policy, does not recommend non free software components, or free > components like DRM that are exclusively useful for restraining user > freedoms, so that may be a dead end. > > I like your energy in this thread though and agree that it would be great > if we could help gamers break out of the ugly Steam ecosystem. Itch is an > independent game distributor and they also publish all their client code as > free software: https://github.com/itchio > > Bringing Itch to Guix might be an interesting project, if we could find a > way to modify the client so that it does not recommend any games that are > not free software. There's a healthy and growing list of such games here: > https://itch.io/games/tag-open-source > > We might have to build our own game discovery portal to replace the > upstream itch.io storefront, but that would be a really nice thing to > have in general. > > Itch has its own tools for game developers to build their game and ship > updates to their users. For example, they designed their own protocol for > shipping new game builds using minimal resources: > https://github.com/itchio/wharf > > It would be beneficial if Guix could learn some of Itch's tricks, to > support fast moving projects that want to ship frequent updates to users. >