unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Outreachy Applicant: An Introduction
@ 2020-10-09 16:59 Magali Lemes
From: Magali Lemes @ 2020-10-09 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi, everyone!
My name is Magali, I am an Outreachy applicant interested in the GNU Guix
project #1 'Add a subcommand showing GNU Guix history of all packages'.
I'm excited about learning more about Guile Scheme and Guix. I'm currently
seeing a bit of Scheme in college, so I thought it'd be interesting to work
on a project that uses it too.
I already installed the Guix package manager on Ubuntu and am going through
some of the commands.
Anyhow, I'm excited to know what my next steps could be. I truly appreciate
an answer.

Magali

* Re: Outreachy Applicant: An Introduction
@ 2020-10-09 20:10 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-09 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magali Lemes; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hey Magali,

Welcome!
And thank you for your interest in Guix.

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 at 20:57, Magali Lemes <magalilemes00@gmail.com> wrote:

> I already installed the Guix package manager on Ubuntu and am going through some of the commands.

Really cool!
What is your feedback on the topic?  Easy to install?  Difficulties?
Still unworking or unexpected behaviour?

> Anyhow, I'm excited to know what my next steps could be. I truly appreciate an answer.

There are different possible next steps, depending on your interest.
In random order:

 + See if you want to contribute to the translation effort.  If you
are native of one of these languages:

       <https://translationproject.org/domain/guix.html>

help is welcome!  For example, my first contribution to Guix was to
read cover-to-cover the Guix manual and proofread the French
translation.  Doing so is an unusual way to be familiar with the Guix
ecosystem but really interesting.  Note that it would be part of this
effort:
  <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-10/msg00091.html>

  + Try to package something of your interest.  You might read the
Cookbook and the relevant part of the manual:

<https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/html_node/Packaging-Tutorial.html#Packaging-Tutorial>
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Defining-Packages>

Well, the easiest way is to create a new folder, say /tmp/foo and
write your new package in the file /tmp/foo/example.scm and then:

  guix show -L /tmp/foo <package-name>
  guix build -L /tmp/foo <package-name>
  guix build -L /tmp/foo <package-name> --no-grafts --check

Once it builds reproducibly, you can try to include in master.  Well,
raise the hand at this moment. :-)

  + Tweak the source of Guix.

  git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
  cd guix
  guix environment guix --pure
  ./bootstrap
  ./configure --localstatedir=/var/
   make -j 8 # adapt
   make check
   ./pre-inst-env guix help # the fresh compiled 'guix' ;-)

You could be interested by
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Contributing>.

Well, then you can try to fix a bug <http://issues.guix.gnu.org> and I
recommend one with the tag easy:

    <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/search?query=is%3Aopen+tag%3Aeasy>

And in any case, feel free to ask _any_ question on help-guix@gnu.org
or IRC #guix.

Keep in touch.
Cheers,
simon

* Re: Outreachy Applicant: An Introduction
@ 2020-10-12 11:00   ` Magali Lemes
From: Magali Lemes @ 2020-10-12 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: guix-devel

thank you for welcoming me!
Guix was fairly easy to install, I used the shell script to do that.
I installed emacs using Guix and it worked as expected.
I'll begin by trying to package something. So, I'll go through the links
you sent
and see how that goes.
Thanks again for all of your suggestions on how to start contributing.

Magali

@ 2020-10-12 15:05     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-12 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magali Lemes; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 13:00, Magali Lemes <magalilemes00@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guix was fairly easy to install, I used the shell script to do that.

Which distribution do you use?

> I installed emacs using Guix and it worked as expected.

Nice!
Personally, I manage the Emacs packages with Guix via a manifest.scm
file.  And in a separate profile.  My conf [1] is far from perfect but
if you need inspiration. :-)

1: <https://github.com/zimoun/my-conf>

> I'll begin by trying to package something. So, I'll go through the links you sent
> and see how that goes.

Cool!
Do not hesitate to ask on help-guix or #guix if you encounter issues
on your path.  And feel free to send your progress, success or
failure.

All the best,
simon

* Re: Outreachy Applicant: An Introduction
@ 2020-10-13 10:02       ` Magali Lemes
From: Magali Lemes @ 2020-10-13 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: guix-devel

Hey,
I'm using Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS. I must say I've never used emacs before, so
I'll try to get the hang of it.
Sharing my progress: I decided to package the arduino IDE, but it turned out
way harder than I expected, due to its many dependencies. I ended up not
doing it, but it was a good experience because I could learn about some
functions in Scheme - chdir, for example -, some of the phases of
building a package - like unpacking, configuring and building - and I could
also interact with the community, asking for help, via IRC, which is a
very new thing for me.
As for today, I will continue trying to package something. I'll probably
follow
your previous advice and begin with a R package. It seems easier, so
hopefully
I'll succeed.

Cheers,
Magali.

@ 2020-10-13 17:14         ` Bonface M. K.
From: Bonface M. K. @ 2020-10-13 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magali Lemes; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi!

Magali Lemes <magalilemes00@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey,
> I'm using Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS. I must say I've
> never used emacs before, so
> I'll try to get the hang of it.

Welcome to the club(of Emacsen users)! You'll get
used it to it ;). Here's a good channel that shows
you some cool things that you can get done in
Emacs:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0uTPqBCFIpZxlz_Lv1tk_g. I'd
recommend the magit video; it comes in really
handy IMHO.

--
Bonface M. K. (https://www.bonfacemunyoki.com)
Chief Emacs Mchochezi / Twitter: @BonfaceKilz

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Outreachy Applicant: An Introduction
@ 2020-10-14  0:47         ` Aniket Patil
From: Aniket Patil @ 2020-10-14  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magali Lemes; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Lemes,

I am also emacs user and Outreachy applicant. I would suggest you to go
through tutorial of emacs which is inbuilt and then go through this video
series.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9KxKa8NpFxIcNQa9js7dQQIHc81b0-Xg

I hope you find it helpful.

Aniket.

@ 2020-10-14  2:27           ` Magali Lemes
From: Magali Lemes @ 2020-10-14  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aniket Patil, bonfacemunyoki; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Aniket and Bonface,
thank you two for the nice suggestions. That was exactly what I
was looking to get started into emacs.

Magali

@ 2020-10-14  7:40             ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2020-10-14  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magali Lemes; +Cc: guix-devel, bonfacemunyoki

Il giorno mer 14 ott 2020 alle ore 04:28 Magali Lemes <
magalilemes00@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Hi Aniket and Bonface,
> thank you two for the nice suggestions. That was exactly what I
> was looking to get started into emacs.
>
> Magali

I'd like to suggest also this one
https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/meet-emacs

It's not free and I understand that can be a hurdle

But a similar resource (that's not available anymore, this is a renewed
one) was very helpful for me

Hope this helps

@ 2020-10-20 23:07         ` Magali Lemes
From: Magali Lemes @ 2020-10-20 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

@ 2020-10-21  8:22           ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-21  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magali Lemes; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Magali,

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 01:08, Magali Lemes <magalilemes00@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I wanted to share my progress with you. This last week I submitted my first
>>> patch ever. There were a few minor mistakes in it, so I had to fix them and
>>> submit again. It was a great opportunity for me to learn some new Git commands -
>>> like git rebase - and also pay more attention to some of the coding guidelines
>>> in Guix. I have also been on the road of learning some emacs and magit tricks.
>>> As for my next steps, I believe I'll try to fix one of those bugs tagged as
>>> easy.

Congrats!

About Emacs and Magit, do not hesitate to ask any question on #guix.
Some wizards are around. ;-)

About the bugs, you can interact with the bug tracker using the web interface:

        <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/>

or using Emacs:

   C-u M-x debbugs-gnu RET RET guix-patches,guix RET n y

and to avoid to type again and again guix-patches,guix the conf is
something like:

(setq debbugs-gnu-default-packages '("guix-patches" "guix"))

Hope to read you soon. :-)

All the best,
simon