unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* https://guix.gnu.org/packages ?
@ 2020-05-06 13:05 zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-05-06 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Dear,

Is someone really use this interface [1]?

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/packages/

Because, when I need something, I prefer to use this one [2].

[2] http://hpc.guix.info/browse

Does it make sense to replace the interface of [1] by the interface by [2]?

Bonus: the interface [2] provides a link to the Data Service. :-)

Thank you in advance for any comment.

All the best,
simon

* Re: https://guix.gnu.org/packages ?
@ 2020-05-06 13:40 ` Pierre Neidhardt
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-05-06 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun, Guix Devel

I'd love this!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: https://guix.gnu.org/packages ?
@ 2020-05-06 14:22 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-05-06 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

> Is someone really use this interface [1]?
>
> [1] https://guix.gnu.org/packages/
>
> Because, when I need something, I prefer to use this one [2].
>
> [2] http://hpc.guix.info/browse
>

> Does it make sense to replace the interface of [1] by the interface by [2]?

A goal for [1] was to have a JS-free interface.  It’s necessarily
limiting (no search interface), but I think it’s good to have.

A solution would probably “progressive enhancement”: add a search box
etc. when JS is supported.

It would also be nice to preserve the design and layout that sirgazil
came up with.

Help welcome!

Ludo’.

* Re: https://guix.gnu.org/packages ?
@ 2020-05-06 14:39   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-05-06 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

Without JavaScript, a alternative would be to list all package names
with their synopses on a single page.  This way the user can use the
browser search feature to search for packages.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: https://guix.gnu.org/packages ?
@ 2020-05-06 14:46   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-05-06 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 16:23, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Does it make sense to replace the interface of [1] by the interface by [2]?
>
> A goal for [1] was to have a JS-free interface.  It’s necessarily
> limiting (no search interface), but I think it’s good to have.

I understand.  Even if I am almost sure no one use it in practise. )-:

Try to reach the package 'git' for example.
Click 'G'.
Nothing so to go to page 2.
Nothing so to go to page 3.
Nothing so to go to page 4.
Nothing so to go to page 5.
Nothing so to go to page 6.
Nothing so to go to page 7.
Yahoga! Find it!! :-)

And it is really hard to guess the page number because it really
depends on the number of packages before.  In this case, the Haskell
packages 'ghc-*'.

A more "usable" option should to turn off the page system.  Or least
to be able to optionally turn it off.  Then 'C-f' (or whatever you
shortcut is).

Or maybe I miss something on the webpage.  Could happen since I am
testing the Next browser. ;-)

> It would also be nice to preserve the design and layout that sirgazil
> came up with.

Or use the nice layout with the other interface (search etc.) :-)
But I understand that the JS is the current issue.

Thank you for the clarification.

Cheers,

@ 2020-05-06 17:07 ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2020-05-06 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: guix-devel

> Is someone really use this interface [1]?
>
> [1] https://guix.gnu.org/packages/
>
> Because, when I need something, I prefer to use this one [2].
>
> [2] http://hpc.guix.info/browse
>

> Does it make sense to replace the interface of [1] by the interface by [2]?
>

> Bonus: the interface [2] provides a link to the Data Service. :-)

The HPC Guix Browse page relies a bit too much on JavaScript for my
liking, it would be nice to have a search interface that doesn't use
JavaScript (or at least doesn't have to).

Maybe there could be a small Guile app to serve
https://guix.gnu.org/packages/search that just serves one page, a search
page for packages.

That could use the search functionality from data.guix.gnu.org [3], and
then provide links to the relevant package page (like [4]).

3: https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/latest-processed-revision/packages?search_query=git&field=version&field=synopsis&after_name=&limit_results=100
4: https://guix.gnu.org/packages/git-2.26.2/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: https://guix.gnu.org/packages ?
@ 2020-05-06 17:21     ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2020-05-06 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: "Ludovic Courtès", Guix Devel

 ---- On Wed, 06 May 2020 14:46:02 +0000 zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote ----
 > On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 16:23, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
 >
 > > > Does it make sense to replace the interface of [1] by the interface by [2]?
 > >
 > > A goal for [1] was to have a JS-free interface.  It’s necessarily
 > > limiting (no search interface), but I think it’s good to have.
 >
 > I understand.  Even if I am almost sure no one use it in practise. )-:

[...]

 > > It would also be nice to preserve the design and layout that sirgazil
 > > came up with.
 >
 > Or use the nice layout with the other interface (search etc.) :-)
 > But I understand that the JS is the current issue.

Personally, I think there is no JavaScript issue, Simon. The problem seems to be that no one is volunteering to enhance the package-related pages to add the missing features. The only rule I know about JS is that the website should be usable without it (for users who disable JS and for browsers that don't interpret any JS). That doesn't mean that using JS in the website is forbidden.

The package pages design you are seeing right now is part of a proposal I did some years ago (see http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/25227). At that time there was a limitation to keep everything static (no databases, no server-side scripting) because Guix website was a static website hosted by Savannah (like the websites of other GNU projects). For this reason, parts of the proposal, like searching, were left unimplemented. I think I proposed to try using some JS-based searching at the time, but I never prototyped anything.

Guix has its own hosting resources now. If someone volunteers, I think it would be possible to get the functionality from "http://hpc.guix.info/browse" in the Guix website.

* Re: https://guix.gnu.org/packages ?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-05-06 17:23 ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2020-05-06 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hello,

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 3:06 PM zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is someone really use this interface [1]?
>
> [1] https://guix.gnu.org/packages/

Yes, me, sometimes...

> Because, when I need something, I prefer to use this one [2].
>
> [2] http://hpc.guix.info/browse

Because I did not know about this one.

I think keeping a js-free one is good, but the UX from HPC's is better,
so can we have both ?

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: https://guix.gnu.org/packages ?
@ 2020-05-06 18:27       ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-05-06 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sirgazil; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi sirgazil,

Thank you for the explanations.
I have not read yet the bug report you mention.

Well, I do not have any opinion on what to do.  Mainly because I do
not have the skills for.  And that's why I proposed the change. :-)

@ 2020-05-07  7:46     ` L p R n d n
From: L p R n d n @ 2020-05-07  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hello,

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> Without JavaScript, a alternative would be to list all package names
> with their synopses on a single page.  This way the user can use the
> browser search feature to search for packages.

I started to think about guix's communication some time ago and I came
up with the same idea. It seems quite cheap and efficient.

Also, nothing concrete for now and probably for some time but the
website was part of my contribution plan to Guix. If nobody else is onto
it and the changes are welcome, I'm might ba able to propose
something. Still take it with a pinch of salt...

Have a nice day,

L  p R n  d n

* Re: https://guix.gnu.org/packages ?
@ 2020-05-17 22:09   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-05-17 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> skribis:

> The HPC Guix Browse page relies a bit too much on JavaScript for my
> liking, it would be nice to have a search interface that doesn't use
> JavaScript (or at least doesn't have to).
>
> Maybe there could be a small Guile app to serve
> https://guix.gnu.org/packages/search that just serves one page, a search
> page for packages.
>
> That could use the search functionality from data.guix.gnu.org [3], and
> then provide links to the relevant package page (like [4]).
>
> 3: https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/latest-processed-revision/packages?search_query=git&field=version&field=synopsis&after_name=&limit_results=100
> 4: https://guix.gnu.org/packages/git-2.26.2/

Sounds like a plan.  Either through the Data Service or via
guix.gnu.org/packages.json.

Thanks,
Ludo’.