unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Wiki && Re: [feature request] merge sxml->html from (haunt html) into guile?
       [not found] ` <skHXeytJhh-XZOWnqaD3Qi1z6uaXri9bDjPfcSBLVCZWzpsrNHqQ_aKLFiKN9Hhd4T2Ftu8Fqk_P6R7sHcZ5kqnfrr6L3Xk7SBDBYar09f8=@protonmail.com>
@ 2022-06-28 18:34   ` Blake Shaw
From: Blake Shaw @ 2022-06-28 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: guile-user, Guix Devel

Hi Luis,

(copying in Guix as I digress into the subject of a Wiki for Guix & Guile
communities)

Thanks for this! It's cool and I would not have found it without your help.

Which brings up another thing I've been considering working on thats been
discussed in the Guix community: the need for click-to-edit wiki, written
in Guile.

If we had a wiki up, there could be an "HTML" stub, for instance, that
collects links to all projects using HTML in guile. Finding out whats
available would be streamlined, and relatively painless to update and
moderate.

I have some free time for the next month, and should be able to knock out a
basic wiki system in this time (I found what looks like a nice book about
wikis that I could read and use as a guide for implementing it).

Since getting feedback on my presentation for Guix Days, where I think a
lot of good criticism was raised, I've been thinking about ways to organize
contributions to the docs. An idea I've had is to create a wiki that has a
basic system of tags that can link with Mumi so that while folks are
looking things up they can also get a sense if there are "TODOs" concerning
a subject they reading up on, even beyond contributing to the docs. Many
folks have expressed that they want to start chipping in, but aren't quite
sure where to start. Perhaps something like this could help ease that
process, and make updating information more dynamic and less critical than
in the main docs.

Any thoughts?

ez,

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022, 20:26 Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Blake,
>
> On Monday, June 27th, 2022 at 06:57, Blake Shaw <blake@sweatshoppe.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Finally I caved and decided to look at the Bootstrappable source code,
> and
> > voila! (haunt html) provides sxml->html... the piece of the puzzle I was
> > missing. Massive, near comical, relief.
>
> Just to mention that there is also htmlprag, from guile-lib (
> https://www.nongnu.org/guile-lib/doc/ref/htmlprag/).

* RE: Wiki && Re: [feature request] merge sxml->html from (haunt html) into guile?
@ 2022-06-28 19:57 dsmich
From: dsmich @ 2022-06-28 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Blake Shaw'
  Cc: 'Luis Felipe', 'guile-user@gnu.org',
	'Guix Devel'

> From: "Blake Shaw"
> Subject: Wiki && Re: [feature request] merge sxml->html from (haunt
html) into guile?

> Since getting feedback on my presentation for Guix Days, where I
think a
 > lot of good criticism was raised, I've been thinking about ways to
organize
 > contributions to the docs. An idea I've had is to create a wiki
that has a
 > basic system of tags that can link with Mumi so that while folks
are
 > looking things up they can also get a sense if there are "TODOs"
concerning
 > a subject they reading up on, even beyond contributing to the docs.
Many
 > folks have expressed that they want to start chipping in, but
aren't quite
 > sure where to start. Perhaps something like this could help ease
that
 > process, and make updating information more dynamic and less
critical than
 > in the main docs.
>
 > Any thoughts?

Spam! Spam! Spam!

Please plan on having some kind of controls in place to prevent
spammers.

-Dale

* Re: Wiki && Re: [feature request] merge sxml->html from (haunt html) into guile?
@ 2022-06-28 20:13     ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-06-28 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Blake Shaw, Luis Felipe; +Cc: guile-user, Guix Devel

Blake Shaw schreef op wo 29-06-2022 om 01:34 [+0700]:
> Which brings up another thing I've been considering working on thats
> been discussed in the Guix community: the need for click-to-edit
> wiki, written in Guile. [...]

I don't think ‘written in Guile’ has been discussed?

Also, I don't see the point in writing our own wiki software in Guile
when there's already plenty of Wiki software in existence with lots of
tools for moderation, version control, backups, lots of testing, etc.
Why not reuse pre-existing work instead of reinventing the wheel (likely
poorly, at least at first)?

Greetings,
Maxime.

* Re: Wiki && Re: [feature request] merge sxml->html from (haunt html) into guile?
@ 2022-06-28 21:05       ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-06-28 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Blake Shaw, Luis Felipe; +Cc: guile-user, Guix Devel

Maxime Devos schreef op di 28-06-2022 om 22:13 [+0200]:
> Blake Shaw schreef op wo 29-06-2022 om 01:34 [+0700]:
> > Which brings up another thing I've been considering working on
> thats
> > been discussed in the Guix community: the need for click-to-edit
> > wiki, written in Guile. [...]
>
> I don't think ‘written in Guile’ has been discussed?
>
> Also, I don't see the point in writing our own wiki software in Guile
> when there's already plenty of Wiki software in existence with lots
> of
> tools for moderation, version control, backups, lots of testing, etc.
> Why not reuse pre-existing work instead of reinventing the wheel
> (likely
> poorly, at least at first)?

(TBC: you can, if you want)

* Re: Wiki && Re: [feature request] merge sxml->html from (haunt html) into guile?
@ 2022-06-29  3:26       ` bokr
From: bokr @ 2022-06-29  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: Blake Shaw, Luis Felipe, guile-user, Guix Devel

On +2022-06-28 22:13:58 +0200, Maxime Devos wrote:
> Blake Shaw schreef op wo 29-06-2022 om 01:34 [+0700]:
> > Which brings up another thing I've been considering working on thats
> > been discussed in the Guix community: the need for click-to-edit
> > wiki, written in Guile. [...]
>
> I don't think ‘written in Guile’ has been discussed?
>
> Also, I don't see the point in writing our own wiki software in Guile
> when there's already plenty of Wiki software in existence with lots of
> tools for moderation, version control, backups, lots of testing, etc.
> Why not reuse pre-existing work instead of reinventing the wheel (likely
> poorly, at least at first)?

E.g.? :

    https://docs.racket-lang.org/web-server/index.html

Not guile, but close in the family tree :)
(I don't know how good their server stuff is, but
I get the impression they consider it production quality)

--
Regards,
Bengt Richter

* Re: Wiki && Re: [feature request] merge sxml->html from (haunt html) into guile?
@ 2022-06-29  6:19       ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2022-06-29  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: Blake Shaw, Luis Felipe, Guix Devel, guile-user

Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> writes:

> Blake Shaw schreef op wo 29-06-2022 om 01:34 [+0700]:
>> Which brings up another thing I've been considering working on thats
>> been discussed in the Guix community: the need for click-to-edit
>> wiki, written in Guile. [...]
>
> I don't think ‘written in Guile’ has been discussed?
>
> Also, I don't see the point in writing our own wiki software in Guile
> when there's already plenty of Wiki software in existence with lots of
> tools for moderation, version control, backups, lots of testing, etc.
> Why not reuse pre-existing work instead of reinventing the wheel (likely
> poorly, at least at first)?

There are at least two good reason for re-inventing the wheel:

- learning the domain
- experimenting with how the ways to a good implementation differ in another language

If those were rejected out of hand, most existing wiki software would
have never been written.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Wiki && Re: [feature request] merge sxml->html from (haunt html) into guile?
@ 2022-06-29 22:19 Nathan Dehnel
From: Nathan Dehnel @ 2022-06-29 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: blake, guix-devel

>I have some free time for the next month, and should be able to knock out a basic wiki system in this time (I found what looks like a nice book about wikis that I could read and use as a guide for implementing it).

Sounds interesting, what's the name of the book?