Hello! ezt írta (időpont: 2019. máj. 13., H, 18:22): > Hello! Users that have experience to install packages from binaries may > have troubles waiting compilation process. > I want to propose some things that can appreciably *improve Guix users > experience*. > > Users do not want to wait the compilation process. This may happen on > installation and update. > Guix may solve this problem giving to the user next possibilities: > > 1) check if there is substitution of some package you want to install for > your system state (and environment) > 2) check what packages will have to compile if you will update your system > > For profiles which have a manifest, you can guix weather the manifest. I believe someone more knowledgable than me can answer if that could be extended easily for the 'system reconfigure' case. > I think this is not that academic way Guix is intended for. But such a > feature will improve user experience riding him from long time compilation. > > Guix also may solve the problem of absent substitutions the next way. > Guix developers can create user interface for sending requests to default > substitution server to compile those packages users want right now. > As I know, hydra compiles all the packages for all the systems without > priorities. > So users can address to hydra their requests to compile some packages for > their system type (and environment). So hydra will stop its usual way of > things (that actually has the lowest priority) and start to compile > packages on user's behalf. > This way user can send a request, wait for 30-120 minutes and install it > or update to having substitution built on hydra. > > Reading some discussions about OS, I can say this is the first user want > to have, saying: 'Computing freedom is imposed by Guix, but that ugly > compilation process is what does not give me to start using it'. > > Please, could you try to satisfy new users by speed up packages > installation? > Best regards, g_bor