On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Eric Bavier wrote: > > Ludovic Courtès writes: > > > Eric Bavier skribis: > > > >> * gnu/packages/patches/subversion-propagate-env-to-hooks.patch: New > patch. > >> * gnu-system.am (dist_patch_DATA): Add it. > >> * gnu/packages/version-control.scm (subversion): Use it. > > > > [...] > > > >> +++ b/gnu/packages/patches/subversion-propagate-env-to-hooks.patch > >> @@ -0,0 +1,14 @@ > >> +* Hooks need to inherit environment variables such as PATH, otherwise > simple > >> + things like `ls` might fail in a hook. > > > > That looks good, but I want to make sure we’re not changing something > > that was purposefully made this way. > > If the behavior is similar in 1.8.10, I'll get in contact with the > developers. > According to the subversion documentation, the desired behavior is to execute hooks in an empty environment for security reasons (see http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.reposadmin.create.html#svn.reposadmin.create.hooks ). So it looks like this is a small bug in libtool. The wrapper scripts libtool generates for programs use `ls' to resolve symbolic links and is the only utility program invoked without an absolute file name (the only other utility being sed). If such a wrapper script is executed with no PATH set, then we get "ls: command not found" errors. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect libtool's wrappers to be able to execute in an empty environment. We could patch our libtool to use absolute file names for ls. WDYT? `~Eric -- Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments. See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html