Hello rekado! I saved your document in a file “doc.tex” and then ran this > command successfully: > > guix environment --pure --ad-hoc \ > texlive-base \ > texlive-url \ > texlive-latex-hyperref \ > texlive-fonts-ec \ > texlive-lm \ > texlive-babel-swedish \ > texlive-pagenote \ > texlive-ifmtarg \ > texlive-morefloats \ > texlive-sectsty -- pdflatex doc.tex > > This produces a PDF file “doc.pdf” with an almost empty page with > the text “Notes”. > Thank you. My full document also builds now with the above environment. The strange thing is that, just as you noted, even though all texlive-hyphen-{a lot of european languages} are all installed my pdflatex outputs the following: Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were preloaded for > (babel) the language `Swedish' into the format. > (babel) Please, configure your TeX system to add them and > (babel) rebuild the format. Now I will use the patterns > (babel) preloaded for \language=0 instead on input line 49. > And in the document hyphenation is very much broken, either not breaking words at all or breaking in the wrong places.