Hello! I would like to share some opinion I have on CVE-patching for non- rolling release GNU/Linux distributions and why we should strive to always update to the latest available releases or always follow upstream supported release series and never backport patches ourselves in most cases (some upstreams may have really good practices but these are rare). A lot of security issues are patched silently in upstream projects without ever getting a CVE, security issues may not be labeled as such by upstreams for various reasons (fear of shame, belief to patch something with no security impact while it has, bizarre security through obscurity policy, ..). For these reasons, I suggest that we always strive to update packages to their latest versions and that I think it is security relevant to always do so. Of course, new code could *introduce* new vulnerabilities but I am not trying to debate this, it's that to the best of the upstream's knowledge chances are that the latest version will contain more security fixes than older versions (if that upstream is actually maintaining the project). In many cases, browsing through the commit history of some popular projects can uncover security issues not publicized through any security mailing lists or CVEs anywhere, this is unfortunately quite common. We cannot possibly monitor the commit history (and code) of every single project to backport fixes when we would need to. It is better for us to always strive to use the latest versions even when it requires us to do more far-reaching changes because of dependents/dependencies. Let me know what you think! Léo