unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Organizing Tui Apps
       [not found]                     ` <5c38f2307986364b38c2eab481e4088b@dismail.de>
@ 2021-04-23 15:04                       ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2021-04-23 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel
  Cc: Xinglu Chen, Raghav Gururajan, jackhill, Oliver Loaiza,
	raghavgururajan, rprior, Ekaitz Zarraga, leo

This is a continuation of the thread started at http://issues.guix.gnu.org/47852

Ekaitz: What do we want to be the main point of the programs: their UI or their goal?

jgart: I would prefer for them to be catalogued based on their intended usage or goal, as Ekaitz
suggested.

What do people think?

For sc-im I last sent a patch that puts it in a new file/module called spreadsheets.

Is everyone happy with that suggestion from Leo?

I think it is a good idea and seems to agree with what we were leaning towards in the conversation.

I guess now we just need to put more spreadsheet programs into the spreadsheets module to justify it :slight_smile:

* Re: Organizing Tui Apps
@ 2021-04-23 20:00                         ` Leo Prikler
From: Leo Prikler @ 2021-04-23 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart, guix-devel
  Cc: Ekaitz Zarraga, Oliver Loaiza, raghavgururajan, rprior,
	Xinglu Chen, Raghav Gururajan

Am Freitag, den 23.04.2021, 15:04 +0000 schrieb jgart:
> This is a continuation of the thread started at
> http://issues.guix.gnu.org/47852
>
> Ekaitz: What do we want to be the main point of the programs: their
> UI or their goal?
>
> jgart: I would prefer for them to be catalogued based on their
> intended usage or goal, as Ekaitz
> suggested.
>
> What do people think?
>
> For sc-im I last sent a patch that puts it in a new file/module
> called spreadsheets.
>
> Is everyone happy with that suggestion from Leo?
>
> I think it is a good idea and seems to agree with what we were
> leaning towards in the conversation.
>
> I guess now we just need to put more spreadsheet programs into the
> spreadsheets module to justify it :slight_smile:
Spreadsheets sounds fine to me, but I think the most important ones
(libreoffice and org-mode) are already excluded from that module for
obvious reasons ;)
Perhaps an even more generic "office" module might be better, because
then we could at least add some small word processors to it, WDYT?  Or
maybe sc-im already fits as-is into textutils if you squint hard enough
.

I don't think, we should have a tui-apps module.  How would you feel
about a gui-apps module, that has all of GNOME, KDE and some more?  Not
really good, no?  How about cli for everything, that has a CLI?
Doesn't seem to make much sense.

Regards,
Leo

* Re: Organizing Tui Apps
@ 2021-04-23 20:28                           ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-04-23 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Prikler
  Cc: Ekaitz Zarraga, Oliver Loaiza, raghavgururajan, rprior,
	Xinglu Chen, Raghav Gururajan, jgart, guix-devel

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 10:00:14PM +0200, Leo Prikler wrote:
> Spreadsheets sounds fine to me, but I think the most important ones
> (libreoffice and org-mode) are already excluded from that module for
> obvious reasons ;)
> Perhaps an even more generic "office" module might be better, because
> then we could at least add some small word processors to it, WDYT?  Or
> maybe sc-im already fits as-is into textutils if you squint hard enough

My main objection was about moving packages. So whatever module you
create is fine, but let's not start moving libreoffice and org-mode
around.

* Re: Organizing Tui Apps
@ 2021-04-24  1:50                             ` Ryan Prior
From: Ryan Prior @ 2021-04-24  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Prikler, Leo Famulari
  Cc: jgart, Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution

On April 23, 2021, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 10:00:14PM +0200, Leo Prikler wrote:
> > Spreadsheets sounds fine to me, but I think the most important ones
> > (libreoffice and org-mode) are already excluded from that module for
> > obvious reasons ;)
> > Perhaps an even more generic "office" module might be better,
> because
> > then we could at least add some small word processors to it, WDYT?
> Or
> > maybe sc-im already fits as-is into textutils if you squint hard
> enough
>
> My main objection was about moving packages. So whatever module you
> create is fine, but let's not start moving libreoffice and org-mode
> around.

As the person who originally suggested organizing tui-apps into a file,
I'd envisioned it as being sort of like its own desktop environment. So
similar to how we might put Gnome (GTK) apps and KDE (Qt) apps together,
we might put tui (ASCII terminal) apps together.

I am not upset if that's unconvincing to others & will happily drop the
proposal if it's not useful, I never intended for it to become a drawn
out discussion. It also makes sense to me that we might organize things
by programming language or by function, those each have strengths as
strategies.

Ryan

* Re: Organizing Tui Apps
@ 2021-04-24  7:12                               ` Leo Prikler
From: Leo Prikler @ 2021-04-24  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan Prior, Leo Famulari
  Cc: Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution, jgart

Am Samstag, den 24.04.2021, 01:50 +0000 schrieb Ryan Prior:
> On April 23, 2021, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 10:00:14PM +0200, Leo Prikler wrote:
> > > Spreadsheets sounds fine to me, but I think the most important
> > ones
> > > (libreoffice and org-mode) are already excluded from that module
> > for
> > > obvious reasons ;)
> > > Perhaps an even more generic "office" module might be better,
> > because
> > > then we could at least add some small word processors to it,
> > WDYT? Or
> > > maybe sc-im already fits as-is into textutils if you squint hard
> > enough
> >
> > My main objection was about moving packages. So whatever module you
> > create is fine, but let's not start moving libreoffice and org-mode
> > around.
>
> As the person who originally suggested organizing tui-apps into a
> file, I'd envisioned it as being sort of like its own desktop
> environment. So similar to how we might put Gnome (GTK) apps and KDE
> (Qt) apps together, we might put tui (ASCII terminal) apps together.
I don't think that makes too much sense.  GNOME, MATE, XFCE, Unity,
Cinnamon etc. are all GTK-based toolkits, but their mere size warrants
to put them into their own modules (at least for some, probably).
I also don't think, that TUI apps form a cohesive interface as there
are few "collective guidelines" for how a TUI app should look like.
See ncmpc and ncmpcpp for an example of two TUI apps serving the same
purpose but looking very different.

> I am not upset if that's unconvincing to others & will happily drop
> the proposal if it's not useful, I never intended for it to become a
> drawn out discussion. It also makes sense to me that we might
> organize things by programming language or by function, those each
> have strengths as strategies.
Supposing sc-im was programmed in Rust (it is not afaik, but suppose it
was), putting it into rust-apps would probably be fine.

Regards,
Leo