unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Status of python-team branch
@ 2024-08-12 10:27 Sharlatan Hellseher
From: Sharlatan Hellseher @ 2024-08-12 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix!

I'd like to check who is working on python-team branch to prepare it for
the merge? Especially I'd need to test a fresh version of python-attrs
which involves rebuild of 1000+ packages:

> ./pre-inst-env guix refresh --list-dependent python-attrs
Building the following 472 packages would ensure 1111 dependent packages
are rebuilt: <...>

It's during monthly Astro packages update which requires attrs>=22.2.0
<https://github.com/asdf-format/asdf/commit/14ea0af00693c8ac0fe29e89006674be1dd631d8.

Thanks,
Oleg

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Status of python-team branch
@ 2024-08-12 16:24 ` Lars-Dominik Braun
From: Lars-Dominik Braun @ 2024-08-12 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharlatan Hellseher; +Cc: guix-devel, ngraves, jgart, felgru

Hi,

> I'd like to check who is working on python-team branch to prepare it for
> the merge?

I don’t think anyone is actively working on it right now. #71408 is
the place where any updates should be if there were any. CC’ing a few
people who have contributed to the branch or stated they have interest,
just to be sure.

> > ./pre-inst-env guix refresh --list-dependent python-attrs
> Building the following 472 packages would ensure 1111 dependent packages
> are rebuilt: <...>

Perhaps we can cherry-pick fabbb32638813b944b9da3749599fac6eed4221c
(and maybe more) onto a branch based on the current master and see which
packages fail with just that change?

Lars

* Re: Status of python-team branch
@ 2024-08-12 19:42   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2024-08-12 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars-Dominik Braun
  Cc: Sharlatan Hellseher, guix-devel, ngraves, jgart, felgru

Lars-Dominik Braun <lars@6xq.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
>> I'd like to check who is working on python-team branch to prepare it for
>> the merge?
>
> I don’t think anyone is actively working on it right now. #71408 is
> the place where any updates should be if there were any. CC’ing a few
> people who have contributed to the branch or stated they have interest,
> just to be sure.

I'm currently on leave, but I think it would make sense to rebase
python-team on top of core-updates.

My last contributions were to core-updates, not to python-team.  Since
core-updates is next in line to be merged I think our next step should
be to rebase python-team before any more incompatible work is done on
that branch.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Status of python-team branch
@ 2024-09-02 16:00     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2024-09-02 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars-Dominik Braun
  Cc: Sharlatan Hellseher, guix-devel, ngraves, jgart, felgru

> Lars-Dominik Braun <lars@6xq.net> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I'd like to check who is working on python-team branch to prepare it for
>>> the merge?
>>
>> I don’t think anyone is actively working on it right now. #71408 is
>> the place where any updates should be if there were any. CC’ing a few
>> people who have contributed to the branch or stated they have interest,
>> just to be sure.
>
> I'm currently on leave, but I think it would make sense to rebase
> python-team on top of core-updates.
>
> My last contributions were to core-updates, not to python-team.  Since
> core-updates is next in line to be merged I think our next step should
> be to rebase python-team before any more incompatible work is done on
> that branch.

Now that core-updates has been merged, the python-team branch would be

Is anyone interested in rebasing the branch?

--
Ricardo

* Re: Status of python-team branch
@ 2024-09-02 17:45       ` Sharlatan Hellseher
From: Sharlatan Hellseher @ 2024-09-02 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus
  Cc: Lars-Dominik Braun, guix-devel, Nicolas Graves, jgart,
	Felix Gruber

I may volunteer myself to that
- rebase on current master
- resolve conflicts
- apply pending patches from issues
- push for testing
- merge to master

@ 2024-09-02 20:16         ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2024-09-02 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharlatan Hellseher, Ricardo Wurmus
  Cc: Lars-Dominik Braun, guix-devel, Nicolas Graves, Felix Gruber

> I may volunteer myself to that

Hi Oleg,

Feel free to send a request for merging.

I don't have the bandwidth at the moment to work on fixing that branch.

That said,

I'll be happy to help in approving the team branch and reviewing qa in order to facilitate you merging it.

In the future, I think we should have smaller topic branches.

For example, we could request to update particular python packages with large rebuilds on a dedicated branch such as python-team-python-sphinx, one request at a time. I think that breaking up the team branch merge request into smaller chunks could help with focusing on getting branches merged and preventing them from growing large or becoming long lived.

If I do large python updates in the future, I will take this approach myself.

Thanks for working on it.

all the best,

jgart

https://whereis.みんな/