unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
@ 2021-02-09 11:19 Léo Le Bouter
  2021-02-09 11:56 ` zimoun
                   ` (2 more replies)
  0 siblings, 3 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-02-09 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 258 bytes --]

Hello!

I created an awesome-guix list at 
https://git.sr.ht/~lle-bout/awesome-guix#awesome-guix

Please contribute new items by email with patches to 
~lle-bout/awesome-guix-devel@lists.sr.ht! No promotion of proprietary
software please :-)

Léo

[-- Attachment #2: This is a digitally signed message part --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
  2021-02-09 11:19 Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix! Léo Le Bouter
@ 2021-02-09 11:56 ` zimoun
  2021-02-09 14:19   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
  2021-02-09 16:16   ` Léo Le Bouter
  2021-02-10 22:03 ` Ludovic Courtès
  2021-02-10 22:58 ` Léo Le Bouter
  2 siblings, 2 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: zimoun @ 2021-02-09 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Léo,

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 12:19, Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> wrote:

> I created an awesome-guix list at
> https://git.sr.ht/~lle-bout/awesome-guix#awesome-guix

Sorry, I have probably missed the info: what is the aim of awesome-guix?

Cheers,
simon


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
  2021-02-09 11:56 ` zimoun
@ 2021-02-09 14:19   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
  2021-02-09 16:19     ` Léo Le Bouter
  2021-02-09 16:16   ` Léo Le Bouter
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2021-02-09 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Léo Le Bouter, Guix Devel

On 2021-02-09 12:56, zimoun wrote:
> Sorry, I have probably missed the info: what is the aim of 
> awesome-guix?

Same here!  This looks like an awesome list but the name doesn't do it 
justice.

Another possible problematic word *if* you intend this as a Guix 
community resource: 
<https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Ecosystem>.  Of 
course, it's entirely up to you otherwise.

But mainly: thank you very much for compiling this list, Léo!  We've 
been missing something like it, relying on tribal knowledge like 
‘cbaines is working on a cool thing’.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser. Excuse or enjoy my brevity.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
  2021-02-09 11:56 ` zimoun
  2021-02-09 14:19   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
@ 2021-02-09 16:16   ` Léo Le Bouter
  2021-02-09 17:51     ` zimoun
  2021-02-13 11:32     ` Hartmut Goebel
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-02-09 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 688 bytes --]

On Tue, 2021-02-09 at 12:56 +0100, zimoun wrote:
> Hi Léo,
> 
Hello!
> On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 12:19, Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net>
> wrote:
> 
> > I created an awesome-guix list at
> > https://git.sr.ht/~lle-bout/awesome-guix#awesome-guix
> 
> Sorry, I have probably missed the info: what is the aim of awesome-
> guix?

Commonly awesome lists are used to share links to all things related to
some topic or some software. This lists's purpose is for anyone to be
able to easily get up to speed with what exists instead of having to
know each and every one to find out by word of mouth. It also helps
projects get more exposure that way.

> 
> Cheers,
> simon

[-- Attachment #2: This is a digitally signed message part --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
  2021-02-09 14:19   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
@ 2021-02-09 16:19     ` Léo Le Bouter
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-02-09 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 965 bytes --]

On Tue, 2021-02-09 at 15:19 +0100, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> On 2021-02-09 12:56, zimoun wrote:
> > Sorry, I have probably missed the info: what is the aim of 
> > awesome-guix?
> 
> Same here!  This looks like an awesome list but the name doesn't do
> it 
> justice.
> 
> Another possible problematic word *if* you intend this as a Guix 
> community resource: 
> <https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Ecosystem>;.  
> Of 
> course, it's entirely up to you otherwise.

Oh okay, well it's just the title of the email, I didnt know about that
"Ecosystem" could misqualify communities. Do we use movement instead?
Fine by me!

> 
> But mainly: thank you very much for compiling this list, Léo!  We've 
> been missing something like it, relying on tribal knowledge like 
> ‘cbaines is working on a cool thing’.

Yes! :-)

> 
> Kind regards,
> 
> T G-R
> 
> Sent from a Web browser. Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

[-- Attachment #2: This is a digitally signed message part --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
  2021-02-09 16:16   ` Léo Le Bouter
@ 2021-02-09 17:51     ` zimoun
  2021-02-09 18:11       ` Bonface Munyoki K.
  2021-02-13 11:32     ` Hartmut Goebel
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: zimoun @ 2021-02-09 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 17:16, Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> wrote:

> Commonly awesome lists are used to share links to all things related to
> some topic or some software. This lists's purpose is for anyone to be
> able to easily get up to speed with what exists instead of having to
> know each and every one to find out by word of mouth. It also helps
> projects get more exposure that way.

Thanks for the explanations.  I did not know.


Cheers,
simon


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
  2021-02-09 17:51     ` zimoun
@ 2021-02-09 18:11       ` Bonface Munyoki K.
  2021-02-09 18:25         ` zimoun
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Bonface Munyoki K. @ 2021-02-09 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1190 bytes --]

zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 17:16, Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> wrote:
>
>> Commonly awesome lists are used to share links to all things related to
>> some topic or some software. This lists's purpose is for anyone to be
>> able to easily get up to speed with what exists instead of having to
>> know each and every one to find out by word of mouth. It also helps
>> projects get more exposure that way.
>
> Thanks for the explanations.  I did not know.

Also to add to what Léo mentioned, "awesome" lists
are a quick way to get up to speed to some things;
and IMHO are a sort of "gateway drug" to some
things. As an example, "awesome-guile"
(https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl/awesome-guile/src/master/list.md)
has served me well to get resources that I'd
otherwise never find on my own.

It'd be nice to aggregate something similar for
GUIX.

PS: You find interesting things when you search
for awesome-<some-tool/stack>. Try it!

-- 
Bonface M. K. D4F09EB110177E03C28E2FE1F5BBAE1E0392253F
Humble GNU Emacs User / Bearer of scheme-y parens
Curator: <https://upbookclub.com> / Twitter: @BonfaceKilz

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 865 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
  2021-02-09 18:11       ` Bonface Munyoki K.
@ 2021-02-09 18:25         ` zimoun
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: zimoun @ 2021-02-09 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bonface Munyoki K.; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 19:11, Bonface Munyoki K. <me@bonfacemunyoki.com> wrote:

> Also to add to what Léo mentioned, "awesome" lists
> are a quick way to get up to speed to some things;

Yeah, I thought it was the idea behind the Cookbook.  :-)
Well, the bottleneck with this (whatever the name ;-)) is recruiting
people who puts some love in.  Maybe what Léo is proposing fits better
the contribution workflow.

Now, I am thinking about that, give a look at:

  <https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes>

Well, it is worth to add them and if someone volunteers, they need
some refresh. :-)

BTW, thanks for compiling curated materials.

Cheers,
simon


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
  2021-02-09 11:19 Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix! Léo Le Bouter
  2021-02-09 11:56 ` zimoun
@ 2021-02-10 22:03 ` Ludovic Courtès
  2021-02-10 22:55   ` Léo Le Bouter
  2021-02-10 22:58 ` Léo Le Bouter
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-02-10 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> skribis:

> I created an awesome-guix list at 
> https://git.sr.ht/~lle-bout/awesome-guix#awesome-guix

Nice!  In the channels section, you could add Guix-Science, Guix-Past,
Guix-HPC, and perhaps a few others from <https://hpc.guix.info/about/>.
:-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
  2021-02-10 22:03 ` Ludovic Courtès
@ 2021-02-10 22:55   ` Léo Le Bouter
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-02-10 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 446 bytes --]

On Wed, 2021-02-10 at 23:03 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
> 

Hello!

> Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> skribis:
> 
> > I created an awesome-guix list at 
> > https://git.sr.ht/~lle-bout/awesome-guix#awesome-guix
> 
> Nice!  In the channels section, you could add Guix-Science, Guix-
> Past,
> Guix-HPC, and perhaps a few others from <
> https://hpc.guix.info/about/>;.
> :-)

Done! :-D

> 
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: This is a digitally signed message part --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
  2021-02-09 11:19 Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix! Léo Le Bouter
  2021-02-09 11:56 ` zimoun
  2021-02-10 22:03 ` Ludovic Courtès
@ 2021-02-10 22:58 ` Léo Le Bouter
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-02-10 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 531 bytes --]

On Tue, 2021-02-09 at 12:19 +0100, Léo Le Bouter wrote:
> Hello!
> 
> I created an awesome-guix list at 
> https://git.sr.ht/~lle-bout/awesome-guix#awesome-guix
> 
> Please contribute new items by email with patches to 
> ~lle-bout/awesome-guix-devel@lists.sr.ht! No promotion of proprietary
> software please :-)
> 
> Léo

I am willing to share maintainership of this list to make it more
durable.

If you are interested, you will need an account on https://sr.ht/ then
I can add you push rights.

Thank you!

[-- Attachment #2: This is a digitally signed message part --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
  2021-02-09 16:16   ` Léo Le Bouter
  2021-02-09 17:51     ` zimoun
@ 2021-02-13 11:32     ` Hartmut Goebel
  2021-02-14  0:27       ` Ryan Prior
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2021-02-13 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 09.02.21 um 17:16 schrieb Léo Le Bouter:
> Commonly awesome lists are used to share links to all things related to
> some topic or some software

I wonder why not just calling it "Link list" then?  Thsi would be much 
easier to understand for non-nerds.

-- 
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |
| www.crazy-compilers.com | compilers which you thought are impossible |



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
  2021-02-13 11:32     ` Hartmut Goebel
@ 2021-02-14  0:27       ` Ryan Prior
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Ryan Prior @ 2021-02-14  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution, Hartmut Goebel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1094 bytes --]

On February 13, 2021, Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com>\r
wrote:\r
> Am 09.02.21 um 17:16 schrieb Léo Le Bouter:\r
> > Commonly awesome lists are used to share links to all things related\r
> to\r
> > some topic or some software\r
>\r
> I wonder why not just calling it "Link list" then?  [This] would be\r
> much \r
> easier to understand for non-nerds.\r
\r
Awesome lists are "a thing." A number of people maintain "awesome\r
awesome" lists, which list other pages with "awesome lists." The best\r
known of these "awesome awesomes" is\r
https://github.com/sindresorhus/awesome which has over 152,000 stars and\r
19,900 forks on GitHub and almost a thousand commits.\r
\r
For my fellow recursion enjoyers, there's also an "awesome awesome\r
awesome" list which lists these lists of lists:\r
https://github.com/t3chnoboy/awesome-awesome-awesome\r
\r
So, while saying "link list" is fine and understandable, there are many\r
people who specifically create and seek out "awesome lists" and find it\r
easier to share and discover such lists under the less generic name.\r
\r
Ryan\r

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 3468 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-02-14  0:27 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 13+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-02-09 11:19 Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix! Léo Le Bouter
2021-02-09 11:56 ` zimoun
2021-02-09 14:19   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
2021-02-09 16:19     ` Léo Le Bouter
2021-02-09 16:16   ` Léo Le Bouter
2021-02-09 17:51     ` zimoun
2021-02-09 18:11       ` Bonface Munyoki K.
2021-02-09 18:25         ` zimoun
2021-02-13 11:32     ` Hartmut Goebel
2021-02-14  0:27       ` Ryan Prior
2021-02-10 22:03 ` Ludovic Courtès
2021-02-10 22:55   ` Léo Le Bouter
2021-02-10 22:58 ` Léo Le Bouter

unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org 

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://yhetil.org/guix-devel/0 guix-devel/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 guix-devel guix-devel/ https://yhetil.org/guix-devel \
		guix-devel@gnu.org
	public-inbox-index guix-devel

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.yhetil.org/yhetil.gnu.guix.devel
	nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.comp.gnu.guix.devel


AGPL code for this site: git clone http://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/public-inbox.git