unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Persian translation
@ 2020-08-04 14:59 Ali Reza Hayati
From: Ali Reza Hayati @ 2020-08-04 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey guys.
I hope you all are well.

I wanted to contribute to GNU and Guix but I'm not a programmer so I
thought maybe I can translate Guix to Persian if it's needed. Can you
guys help me to start? What should I do? Where should I start?

I have a GNU Savannah account now. What's the next step?

--
Ali Reza Hayati <hayati@riseup.net>
www.alirezahayati.com

* Re: Persian translation
@ 2020-08-04 16:57 ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2020-08-04 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Reza Hayati; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ali Reza,

Ali Reza Hayati writes:

> Hey guys.
> I hope you all are well.
>
> I wanted to contribute to GNU and Guix but I'm not a programmer so I
> thought maybe I can translate Guix to Persian if it's needed. Can you
> guys help me to start? What should I do? Where should I start?
>
> I have a GNU Savannah account now. What's the next step?

Thanks for your interest and for volunteering to translate Guix into
Persian.  I'd be happy to help with translating and/or reviewing
yours/others' translations.

I believe the translation of Guix is done using the Translation Project,
consisting of the three "packages" guix [0], guix-manual [1], and
guix-packages [2] as of now.

[0]: <https://translationproject.org/domain/guix.html>
[1]: <https://translationproject.org/domain/guix-manual.html>
[2]: <https://translationproject.org/domain/guix-packages.html>

We should probably start by emailing the "team lead" for the Persian
team <https://translationproject.org/team/fa.html> and ask to join the
team.  I don't think translating Guix requires a disclaimer, but you may
consider doing so anyway, if you may at some point in the future
contribute translations to other projects which require it.  It would
probably be a good idea to join the translation-team-fa mailing list as
well.

<https://translationproject.org/html/translators.html> contains general
instructions for translators.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Persian translation
@ 2020-08-04 17:08   ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2020-08-04 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Reza Hayati, guix-devel

On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 12:57:37PM -0400, Amin Bandali wrote:
> Hi Ali Reza,
>
> Ali Reza Hayati writes:
>
> > Hey guys.
> > I hope you all are well.
> >
> > I wanted to contribute to GNU and Guix but I'm not a programmer so I
> > thought maybe I can translate Guix to Persian if it's needed. Can you
> > guys help me to start? What should I do? Where should I start?
> >
> > I have a GNU Savannah account now. What's the next step?
>
> Thanks for your interest and for volunteering to translate Guix into
> Persian.  I'd be happy to help with translating and/or reviewing
> yours/others' translations.
>
> I believe the translation of Guix is done using the Translation Project,
> consisting of the three "packages" guix [0], guix-manual [1], and
> guix-packages [2] as of now.
>
> [0]: <https://translationproject.org/domain/guix.html>
> [1]: <https://translationproject.org/domain/guix-manual.html>
> [2]: <https://translationproject.org/domain/guix-packages.html>
>
> We should probably start by emailing the "team lead" for the Persian
> team <https://translationproject.org/team/fa.html> and ask to join the
> team.  I don't think translating Guix requires a disclaimer, but you may
> consider doing so anyway, if you may at some point in the future
> contribute translations to other projects which require it.  It would
> probably be a good idea to join the translation-team-fa mailing list as
> well.
>
> <https://translationproject.org/html/translators.html> contains general
> instructions for translators.

This is very much correct.  You just need to edit the PO file from
<https://translationproject.org/team/fa.html> in a PO editor and after
adding some translations submit it to the Translation Project.  But
you should first talk to your team.

However I see little activity on
<https://translationproject.org/team/fa.html>.  Please report back if
there are any problems reaching the team lead.  Also the Guix System
installer does not support right-to-left scripts yet (the bug was
reported here <https://issues.guix.info/issue/35319>).

Regards,
Florian

* Re: Persian translation
@ 2020-08-04 17:11     ` Ali Reza Hayati
From: Ali Reza Hayati @ 2020-08-04 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz), guix-devel

Hey Florizan,
thanks for advice.

I'll report back. I just joined the mailing list and email the team
leader. If I don't hear back, I'll let you all know.

--

@ 2020-08-05  2:15     ` aviva
From: aviva @ 2020-08-05  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 8/4/20 1:08 PM, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 12:57:37PM -0400, Amin Bandali wrote:
>> Hi Ali Reza,
>>
>> Ali Reza Hayati writes:
>>
>>> Hey guys.
>>> I hope you all are well.
>>>
>>> I wanted to contribute to GNU and Guix but I'm not a programmer so I
>>> thought maybe I can translate Guix to Persian if it's needed. Can you
>>> guys help me to start? What should I do? Where should I start?
>>>
>>> I have a GNU Savannah account now. What's the next step?

Does Iran have a legal context for copyright?

* Re: Persian translation
@ 2020-08-05  5:23       ` Ali Reza Hayati
From: Ali Reza Hayati @ 2020-08-05  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, aviva

There is a law that supports companies/people what it's not strict nor good enough. No law like what we see in other countries.