unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Allan Adair <allan@adair.no>
To: guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: libvirt: A potential problem in the package and looking for guidance
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 13:43:48 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Guix!

I am using a libvirt-service-type in my system configuration and it seems
to be working. I can launch VMs using virt-manager, for example. However I
have run into a potential problem, and I think it has to do with the
libvirt package.

Additionally, I would like to present a plea to others on this list that
perhaps someone could share their system configurations for libvirt-
service-type if they use it in a similar way that I am attempting.

My end goal is that I would like to be able to launch several VM guests,
for them to be able to see each other through a local network, and I would
like to be able to SSH from my my host to VM guests.

The configuration for my service-type might be relevant here, so I will
share it here. I don't think that "mdns-adv?" and "log-level" are
particularly relevant to my problem, just keeping it exactly as it is
defined on my system. My user is part of the "libvirt" group.

(service libvirt-service-type
  (libvirt-configuration
    (unix-sock-group "libvirt")
    (mdns-adv? #t)
    (log-level 1)))

I am trying to do everything through qemu://session in user space, not
qemu://system. However it's not that big of a deal to use either. I just
haven't gotten either to work!

The first thing that I am trying to do is to SSH into a single running
guest from my host, and I have so far been unsuccessful.

So, the potential problem that I want to mention is that after having
poked around a bit and created the default network under a qemu://system
connection, a bridge device called "virbr0" is created.

And then for my guest VM which runs under a qemu://session connection, it
has a virtual network interface defined in XML. It was generated by the
virt-manager GUI:

<interface type="bridge">
  <mac address="52:54:00:84:a5:5a"/>
  <source bridge="virbr0"/>
  <model type="virtio"/>
  <address type="pci" domain="0x0000" bus="0x01" slot="0x00"
function="0x0"/>
</interface>

When I try to restart the VM with this modification, I get the following
error:

Error starting domain: '/usr/libexec/qemu-bridge-helper' is not a suitable
bridge helper: No such file or directory

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/gnu/store/s15ahi35w0i274lima3dk41a7vr3kdbn-virt-manager-
3.2.0/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 65, in cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/gnu/store/s15ahi35w0i274lima3dk41a7vr3kdbn-virt-manager-
3.2.0/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 101, in tmpcb
    callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/gnu/store/s15ahi35w0i274lima3dk41a7vr3kdbn-virt-manager-
3.2.0/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/libvirtobject.py", line 57, in
newfn
    ret = fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/gnu/store/s15ahi35w0i274lima3dk41a7vr3kdbn-virt-manager-
3.2.0/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/domain.py", line 1329, in
startup
    self._backend.create()
  File "/gnu/store/g2x37cxh2ag5h66f0p9zaz9pkz2vcvgg-python-libvirt-
7.9.0/lib/python3.9/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1353, in create
    raise libvirtError('virDomainCreate() failed')
libvirt.libvirtError: '/usr/libexec/qemu-bridge-helper' is not a suitable
bridge helper: No such file or directory

Because the package is searching specifically for "/usr/libexec/qemu-
bridge-helper", I think this is a bug in the package definition. "/usr"
should probably be a prefix from the store, right?

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for a response,

Allan