unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* armhf build machines
@ 2015-12-07  9:14 Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2015-12-07  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

The impression I got from looking at the build farm thank-yous on the website
was that we have lowered requirements for what we're looking for in armhf
build machines, at least in terms of RAM. In terms of freedom the Raspberry
Pi 2 isn't great, but in terms of cost its pretty inexpensive.  Is this
something we'd be interested in?

* Re: armhf build machines
@ 2015-12-07 10:36 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-12-07 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 11:14:24AM +0200, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> The impression I got from looking at the build farm thank-yous on the website
> was that we have lowered requirements for what we're looking for in armhf
> build machines, at least in terms of RAM. In terms of freedom the Raspberry
> Pi 2 isn't great, but in terms of cost its pretty inexpensive.  Is this
> something we'd be interested in?

We are waiting for two new Novena boards that should arrive before the
end of the year. The current bottleneck is not the build machines, but hydra;
already now the build farm could sustain more jobs in parallel, but we
artificially limit them. So I would say that there is currently no need
to add more build machines. This may change if we get a physical machine
for hydra.

Andreas

* Re: armhf build machines
@ 2015-12-07 18:28   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2015-12-07 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 11:36:46AM +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 11:14:24AM +0200, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> > The impression I got from looking at the build farm thank-yous on the website
> > was that we have lowered requirements for what we're looking for in armhf
> > build machines, at least in terms of RAM. In terms of freedom the Raspberry
> > Pi 2 isn't great, but in terms of cost its pretty inexpensive.  Is this
> > something we'd be interested in?
>
> We are waiting for two new Novena boards that should arrive before the
> end of the year. The current bottleneck is not the build machines, but hydra;
> already now the build farm could sustain more jobs in parallel, but we
> artificially limit them. So I would say that there is currently no need
> to add more build machines. This may change if we get a physical machine
> for hydra.

What sort of machine would be appropriate for hydra?

> Andreas

* Re: armhf build machines
@ 2015-12-07 23:03     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-12-07 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 11:36:46AM +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 11:14:24AM +0200, Efraim Flashner wrote:
>> > The impression I got from looking at the build farm thank-yous on the website
>> > was that we have lowered requirements for what we're looking for in armhf
>> > build machines, at least in terms of RAM. In terms of freedom the Raspberry
>> > Pi 2 isn't great, but in terms of cost its pretty inexpensive.  Is this
>> > something we'd be interested in?
>>
>> We are waiting for two new Novena boards that should arrive before the
>> end of the year. The current bottleneck is not the build machines, but hydra;
>> already now the build farm could sustain more jobs in parallel, but we
>> artificially limit them. So I would say that there is currently no need
>> to add more build machines. This may change if we get a physical machine
>> for hydra.
>
> What sort of machine would be appropriate for hydra?

Something rather big: say 8+ cores, 16+G RAM, fast disk of 3T at least.

Ludo’.

* Re: armhf build machines
@ 2015-12-08  4:07       ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2015-12-08  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

>>> We are waiting for two new Novena boards that should arrive before the
>>> end of the year. The current bottleneck is not the build machines, but hydra;
>>> already now the build farm could sustain more jobs in parallel, but we
>>> artificially limit them. So I would say that there is currently no need
>>> to add more build machines. This may change if we get a physical machine
>>> for hydra.
>>
>> What sort of machine would be appropriate for hydra?
>
> Something rather big: say 8+ cores, 16+G RAM, fast disk of 3T at least.

I would also add that it should run Libreboot, for which the ASUS
KGPE-D16 is currently the best supported server-class motherboard.

    Thanks,
      Mark

* Re: armhf build machines
@ 2015-12-08 17:18         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-12-08 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>>> What sort of machine would be appropriate for hydra?
>>
>> Something rather big: say 8+ cores, 16+G RAM, fast disk of 3T at least.
>
> I would also add that it should run Libreboot, for which the ASUS
> KGPE-D16 is currently the best supported server-class motherboard.

Right, I would prefer it as well; I hope we can find such rackable
servers.

If it turns out that all we can buy in practice is an ME-backdoored
server, I *might* be willing to take it, with the understanding that it
would become less and less of a single point of trust (assuming more of
our package builds become reproducible, and other users publish binaries
as well.)

WDYT?

Ludo’.

* Re: armhf build machines
@ 2015-12-08 19:39           ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2015-12-08 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:
>
>> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>>
>>> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

>>> Something rather big: say 8+ cores, 16+G RAM, fast disk of 3T at least.
>>
>> I would also add that it should run Libreboot, for which the ASUS
>> KGPE-D16 is currently the best supported server-class motherboard.
>
> Right, I would prefer it as well; I hope we can find such rackable
> servers.
>
> If it turns out that all we can buy in practice is an ME-backdoored
> server,

Under what set of circumstances would this be the case?  The ASUS
KGPE-D16 is widely available.  It's even available pre-flashed with
Libreboot from minifree.org, the company run by Francis Rowe, the
creator of Libreboot.

> I *might* be willing to take it, with the understanding that it
> would become less and less of a single point of trust (assuming more of
> our package builds become reproducible, and other users publish binaries
> as well.)

If hydra is compromised, then its private key could be stolen and
facilitate targetted delivery of malicious binary substitutes to
individual users.  The existence of other users who run 'guix challenge'
would not prevent that, afaict.

Anyway, to my mind, the security issues are secondary.  We should avoid
running non-free software wherever feasible.  It is now fairly easy for
us to arrange for hydra.gnu.org to run 100% free software from the boot
firmware up.  Given this, and our commitment to free software, I'm
surprised that we would not make this a priority.

More thoughts?

      Regards,
        Mark

* Re: armhf build machines
@ 2015-12-09 13:50             ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-12-09 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

>>> I would also add that it should run Libreboot, for which the ASUS
>>> KGPE-D16 is currently the best supported server-class motherboard.
>>
>> Right, I would prefer it as well; I hope we can find such rackable
>> servers.
>>
>> If it turns out that all we can buy in practice is an ME-backdoored
>> server,
>
> Under what set of circumstances would this be the case?

I don’t know, I’m just showing my ignorance.  :-)

> The ASUS KGPE-D16 is widely available.  It's even available
> pre-flashed with Libreboot from minifree.org, the company run by
> Francis Rowe, the creator of Libreboot.

So that sounds perfect.  Does it meet the other requirements above?

(We discussed it a couple of times on IRC, but I admit I never took the
time to learn more about what’s available.)

>> I *might* be willing to take it, with the understanding that it
>> would become less and less of a single point of trust (assuming more of
>> our package builds become reproducible, and other users publish binaries
>> as well.)
>
> If hydra is compromised, then its private key could be stolen and
> facilitate targetted delivery of malicious binary substitutes to
> individual users.  The existence of other users who run 'guix challenge'
> would not prevent that, afaict.
>
> Anyway, to my mind, the security issues are secondary.  We should avoid
> running non-free software wherever feasible.  It is now fairly easy for
> us to arrange for hydra.gnu.org to run 100% free software from the boot
> firmware up.  Given this, and our commitment to free software, I'm
> surprised that we would not make this a priority.

This is definitely important, and again, if the servers Francis’ company
provides fit the bill, then go for it!

Thanks for your feedback,
Ludo’.